Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day 2009???

I found this draft in my blog. I have no idea what year but I am thinking 2009 or 10




Labor day was hinting at being a very busy weekend. Earlier in the year my dad hinted on possibly coming up for the weekend. That ended up coming true as my dad and step mom came for a visit.


They actually stopped in Bowling Green on the way up from Montgomery, AL to visit the corvette museum to see the new addition. In case you didn't know, my dad is a corvette nut. Starting years ago in the 70's when my parents got their first one (a '71). Ever since then he has been hooked. When my parents divorced, the vette was one of the things that he got (just kidding dad). After getting married, and bounced around in the '71 long enough. He went out and got a '99 convertible what is much easier on the butt for long hauls and cruising around. They took the '99 with them to Bowling Green and then to Fort Wayne. They spent Wednesday night in Bowling Green which gave us another day to get the house cleaned. Good motivation to clean the carpet again. They made it up to Fort Wayne Thursday around the time that I came home from work. Jen had to work so the boys and I got a chance to visit with grandma and grandpa. My dad is alot like me when I first had kids. Not really sure how to deal with a baby, but the older the boys get, (and the more you have) the more you get comfortable with them and can play with them. Dad and Betty had a unique opportunity with their visit for lodging. My brother got the house in his divorce and is in the process of selling it, so they just stayed at the house while they were in town. Kind of like renting a condo or something. So after visiting for a while they headed to the house.


Friday I took the day off of work so we could visit and do some stuff together. In the afternoon, Dad and I went up to Auburn so I could show Dad where I worked. it's not really that impressive, but he wanted to check it out. I knew that there was an event in downtown Auburn that night, but had no idea who big it was. The road in front of the credit union was blocked off for a block party with a bar and live band. The band was big caddy daddy which is the band my brother was in before he had to go back on the road. This is the only band in which he was in that actually is doing very well. All of the other bands were good for a while but broke up for one reason or another. I heard stories of a car show downtown but had not idea how huge it was. The show didn't offically start unil 6:00pm, but they already had the town square filled by 3:30. So dad and I walked around and gawked at the cars for a while. We headed home for dinner. We sat on the deak grilling a london broil adn doing some more visiting. After dinner, Dad and I took William and Andrew to a Tin Caps game. Knowing that my dad was coming to town I was looking around and stuff to do and noticed that the last regular season tin cap game was the Friday that they were around so I decided to get tickets. This would be my first experience at a Tin Caps game and the first one taking the boys with me. I thought that they would get bored and would want to leave, but they both did extemely well and sat in our laps for the entire game. They didn't get what was happening on the field, but they enjoyed just being there. Dad got the boys some popcorn and pop which they devoured in minutes. I bought the boys both a hat so they could remember the night, but of course they wore them that night and haven't touched them since. After the game there was to be fireworks. Neither one of my boys like loud noises so they have never been to a fireworks display of any kind. I asked them both numerous time if they wanted to stay and watch the fireworks, and they said "yes". So we stayed. There was a few time that Andrew looked scared, but as long as they both had their ears plugged they seemed to do alright. the lines for food and drinks never went down all night. The offical attendance of the crowd was 7,800 people. The only bit of advise that I can give to people going to a Tin Caps game is to NOT park in the parking garage. What a pain in the butt that was. First of all you couldn't get into the garage that easily and after getting in it took you forever to drive up to the top level to get a parking space. And if there was a elevator to get down, I didn't see it so I ended up carrying Andrew down 4 flights of stairs since he fell asleap in the van on the way there. After the game it was a 20 minute parking lot to get out of the stupid garage. They were only letting one lane out of the garage and you had to turn right which cause a huge bottleneck. you would think after this amount of time they would have that down a lot better. Find street parking is my advice. We got home late and put the boys to bed.


Saturday morning we got up a little later than we wanted to and had to quickly get us and the boys ready for William's soccor game. Dad and Betty met us at the house and we headed over to the field together. When we got to the field we met my mom there and we all sat down. My mom and dad get along pretty well for being divorced which makes these visits alot easier. With William's soccor league they don't keep score, but man they got creamed. Either the other team is just that good or his team needs alot more work, but hey they were all having alot of fun. Usually the chore at Willliam's soccor games is keeping the other two entertained, but they are getting a little better at staying with us. There was no real plan for after the game. I thought we would just head back to the house and think of something. Then my mom invited everyone over to her house for a visit. I was a little hungry since we woke up late and didn't have a chance for breakfast. I simply asked if she had a few eggs or something for breakfast Before I knew it there was Jenny, Betty, and my mom all in the kitchen fixing breakfast for everyone. I felt bad since I didn't mean for us to invade my mom's house like that and clean out her fridge. With 3 women in the kitchen I figured the best place for me was outside on the deck, reading the paper. Mom has a great deck on the back of her house on the 15th green at Cherry Hill. So a very good breakfast and more visiting. After breakfast Dad and Betty had some running around to do, and Jenny had some shopping as well so I took the boys home. While the house was somewhat quiet I made some cookies for us and Jenny's family fish fry. When Jen got home with some groceries I ended up making a second type of cookie as well. All part of Snack Night!! My first visit down to Alabama years ago I was introduced to snack night, where Betty puts out a HUGE spread of appetizers and you just eat and eat and eat. So every time we get together we have a snack night. So after I got done with my cookies, Jen and Betty take over the kitchen and start cooking. So a few hours we put on the feed bag and stuff ourselves.

No comments: