Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Hay or Straw

This time of year reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. While working for a radio station, they decided to get some bails of hay for an event. So, I went out to a local farm store and friend of the radio station to get the bails. Upon arriving I told the person that I needed some hay bails for an event. The look on his eyes was one of "time to have fun with the city-boy" look. He informs me that I cannot have hay bails because they are too expensive and that he would have to charge me for them. I said "your kidding right? you have a million of them sitting at the front of your store". That's when he informed me that hay was the stuff that they fed to the animals and that straw was the stuff they put into bails that you would see in a typical October/fall display. So keep in mind this fall, you are not on a hay ride, you are actually on a straw ride.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I remember standing in a barn trying to figure out the difference between hay and straw, knowing that our farmer buddy would skin us if we took the wrong ones.

I don't like it when farmers make fun of us city folk.

Just remember, hay has a greenish tint.