Monday, December 11, 2006

What's in a Name?

Saturday afternoon my two boys and I met a couple of friends over at Casa's Italian restaurant. Now I didn't want to stuff myself on food since I was heading over to MR's party in a few hours, but I knew the boys would like to eat, or at least Andrew the human vacuum cleaner would for sure. I look at the special kids menu, and like all restaurants in the world they have the usual fare of hot dogs, grilled cheese, and macaroni and cheese. All restaurants offer these same dishes since the know that kids don't like anything new and will only eat the same basic things. Some restaurants we have been to might change things up a little bit to make it more like their restaurant, like toasting the bun for the hot dog or grilling the cheese sandwich a little different (if that is possible). So I order macaroni and cheese for the boys and milk. I forget to tell the waiter to bring the milk with the meal and he brings it right away whereupon my boys both drink themselves silly on milk before the meal gets there, dang. William actually shakes his empty milk cup at our waiter (behind my back) like he is telling the waiter "Milk, Boy". I am embarrassed that my child would do this, but lucky for us the waiter thinks it's cute. After waiting for a while the food finally arrives, where I see a plate of pasta shells in an Alfredo sauce much like the quatro formaggi that I usually get. I think that it's a dish for my friends, but no, the waiter hands it to me. I say "excuse me, is this the macaroni and cheese?" and the waiter says "yes". OK. A few things come to mind. How do you not put MACARONI in the macaroni and cheese? The name of the noodle is right in the title!!! Oh wait, maybe they don't have macaroni in this ITALIAN restaurant!! God only knows what they would have brought me if I ordered the hot dog... they probably would have brought me steak. Lucky for me, Andrew the human vacuum cleaner could care less about it as long as it is food, and William was being a pain in the butt anyway so he didn't want to eat since he was filled with two glasses of milk.

In other food news.... Wednesday we took Andrew down to Indy for another checkup on his eye. (Everything is going well, but he will probably need another surgery next year to tweak things up a little more.) Now usually when we leave Indianapolis we hit the cheesecake factory to grab something to eat and bring back some cheesecake to snack on the next couple of days. After our last trip to the cheesecake factory and the $60 bill for lunch and bring home cheesecake, we decided to eat somewhere else. I saw a restaurant by the highway called "cheeseburger in paradise" and went to the website the last time down there. It's a Jimmy Buffet Margarittaville type of franchise with a tropical theme and food. The atmosphere of the restaurant is pretty cool and the food was delicious. The crab cake sandwiches were fantastic and Jen's wrap sandwich was very tasty too. I got 6 mini cheeseburgers that were a little dry but tasty. The funny part of the day was when we were waiting for our food there was tropical type music playing in the background. When a Regee song came on Andrew started to giggle and didn't stop until the end of the song. So it looks like we have a little Rasta in the family. Can you have Blonde dreadlocks?

No comments: