Friday, November 07, 2008

That was only a week ???

Man it's only been a week at work but it feels like a year. I didn't realize how tired I would be working a full week after being off work for a month and a half. I purposely tried to stay to a schedule so it wouldn't be too hard, but it was. Unfortunately they have pretty strict restrictions on computer access so no blogging at work :(. They also don't allow surfing. They expect people to actually work during the day. WTH? The setup that I have is a little screwy. They have thin clients at everyones desk on a network, but the graphic program that I have is on the drive of this thin client, but I can't print to my printer through that so I have to turn the file into a pdf and print off the network side of the computer, so alot of back and forth. It's going to get confusing. I am supposed to get a laptop so maybe I can streamline it a little more.The graphic program is Correl Draw 4 which is an old, basic graphic program that I am learning how to use. I really wish that I could have quark or photoshop, but the version of photoshop that I have isn't exactly legal so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to put that on the network. The printer is pretty bad too. Maybe next year I can talk them into getting a better graphic program and printer.
The people that I work with are fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. Like any new job there is alot of stress of learning people names, proper procedures, trying not to set off alarms. Earlier in the week I was really stressed, but by today I was calming down a little bit more. The drive up there is actually a little less distance but about the same amount of time as my last job. I have tried a couple of different ways to go up there, but they both seem like they take the same amount of time. Either I get tied up with traffic between 69 and downtown Auburn or I get behind some yahoo going 40 mph on Tonkel. But hey, I don't have to punch a clock so it's not that bad.
Today I got a chance to take a road trip with some of the other employees to visit the other branches of the Credit Union. As we were leaving the branch in New Haven the conversation turned to eating lunch. We thought about just heading back to the office and doing our own thing, but I noticed a sign for Garno's in the complex across the street. I commented to everyone else how fantastic the Garno's grinders were and we ended up running across the street for lunch. I haven't had a Garno's grinder in years and was a little worried that it wouldn't be the same, but it was. I also found out that they make that monster pizza that they used to make. I think she said it was 29 inches across. Back in the day working at WOWO we used to take one of those pizzas and some grinders to different businesses who won a fax in lunch contest. That was a fun promotion to do. After lunch we visited the Garrett branch and then headed up to Angola. While in Angola I talked the others into heading to the butcher shop to buy some of that relish for that dip. The one lady who drove knows EVERYONE in Auburn and the surrounding area. I am going to have to get used to small towns where everyone knows everyone else.
There is good news and bad news about workng there. The good news is that I get all of those bank holidays off, but to get paid for it you have to work the day before and after, so no 4 day weekends with taking one day off. I have to work the day after Thanksgiving this year. I can't imagine that it will be real busy, but it was nice to have a 4 day weekend. oh well...

4 comments:

MR said...

Back in 1995 I got my picture in the Business Monday section of the newspaper because we were pioneering thin clients. IBM came in and set up the part that got them into the AS/400 and I set up the area's first Citrix terminal server so they could download the Windows kernel, and run Windows apps. The thin client was cheaper than PC hardware then. BUT, the cost of PCs plummeted, and it was a hassle setting up everyone with a different profile on the one server, which, if IT crashed you had all your eggs in one basket (I prefer a more distributed model). So, I took them out within about a year. I didn't call the newspapers to tell them I was now pioneering the idea that thin clients were a waste of time and more trouble than they're worth. I don't think I'd have gotten much ink on that since it was IBM driving this whole initiative.

At my company we also have a web filter, but it's pretty generous, you can even go to e-bay, and it gets very permissive at lunchtime, but still blocks all the bad malware sites. But for some reason, my workstation can go ANYwhere on the internet...HMM!

MR said...

...and glad to hear the job is working out!

CAQuincy said...

I've been at my job for a month, and I'm STILL exhausted and falling asleep on the couch by 9:00 on Friday nights.

Sounds like a good gig. Too bad about those four-day weekend, though. (That's just CRUEL!)

davesbeachbar said...

I think the thin clients and Citrix are probably good enough for organizing the mass access for all of the branches, but for me it's just a huge pain. transfering things back and forth to print. If I want the better internet access then I need to make sure I am on the network side of my station. It can be confusing, but I am managing