Monday, November 07, 2005

F***ing Leaves

Over the weekend I decided to help my mom out and get rid of some of her leaves. Where the roof sections meet, a ton of leaves get caught there every year so this year I decided to help her out and get rid of them. I decided to do it Saturday afternoon since a rain storm was predicted Saturday night and I figured that dry leaves are easier to get rid of than wet leaves. Looking at the pitch of the roof, it looked real real steep. I remember than someone told her never to get onto the roof because it was too steep, but I figured they just told her that so they could keep comming back every year and charge her a ton of money to clean the eaves. I found out soon after I got onto the roof they might have been right. Taking my life in my hands and with a leaf blower I ventured onto the roof where it became quite the circus act where I would get to the top of the peak and then actually slide down to the eaves to blow them out. Of course the leaf blower is electric so I had to deal with a cord catching on everthing making the chore just that much more fun. And of course I had unplugged the blower by accident and had to trudge all the way down the ladder to plug it in and then back up Mt. Everest.

I had cleaned out most of the eaves and figured that was good enough and ended up working on the rest of the yard until it became too dark. Story sounds good enough??? well that's not the end of it. I get up Sunday to find out that the storm that blew through Saturday night also contained high winds and so basically everything that I had done the day before was gone. Even the eaves on the roof were just as full as the day before. All I could say was S***. But that's not the end of the story either. I was getting dressed Sunday morning and saw that I had a hole in my back pocket and then I thought "where is my wallet?". After searching the bedroom and asking my wife if she had seen my wallet (she takes it out to get receipts out of it) I tried to retrace my steps. How would I get a hole in my back pocket?..... Maybe by sliding down a roof in effort to get all the leaves that are now back in bigger force than ever. So back outside I go thinking S***, I don't want to get back on this roof, especially since I wasn't sure where it was. But looking at the roof from the ground I was fortunate enough to see my wallet in the eaves of the house. I get the ladder out and retrieve my soaking wet (did I mention the storm Saturday night) wallet. I hate leaves.

No comments: