Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Blown Away

Monday we took Andrew back to Rileys to have his eye looked at again. Much to what we expected nothing has changed and we scheduled surgery for October 12th to try and correct his eye problem. Still sucks that this happened to him, but again it could have been alot worse.

The part of the trip that blew me away was a trip to the Casleton Mall in Indy. After some walking around, killing time before his appointment, we decided to grab something to eat. We had some chicken from chick-fil-a where Andrew experienced his first taste of fast food, and it loved it. After I ate I went into the bathroom to wash up after lunch. After washing my hands I noticed that they had the hand blowers and not paper towels. I hate these hand blowers since it takes forever to actually dry your hands and even after two cycles they are never dry and you always end up wiping the last bits of water off on your clothes. I know why they do it, and I don't really want to kill trees for my convenience, but it's just annoying. So I put my hands under the jet and it turns on automatically...the air came out so fast and so much that it actually scared me a little since I am not used to that from an air dryer. It was like putting your hand under an air chuck on an air compressor at 100 psi. After only 10 or 15 seconds under this power-jet my hands were totally dry. Wheeeeeee. Finally, someone gets how to make something like that actually works right.

Sigh....Yeah it's the little things that impress me.

2 comments:

Cerpicio said...

On our way to Chicago we stopped at a gas station in Merrillville that had hand blowers like that in the restrooms. They sounded like a jet engine! My poor four-year-old nephew was terrified of them.

Marcus said...

They have improved the hand driers, mostly tested on tollway stops. The other advantage (other than towel cost and clean up cost) is "virtual" anti-bacterial -- when used correctly. A user's hands shouldn't touch the unit, and the heating coils should "vaporize" the bateria and viruses. It isn't environmentally friendly in that it requires electricity to run (generally coal or oil-burning facilities).

They are, though, improved.