Monday, September 25, 2006

Do Not Overtighten !!!

Over the weekend I was trying to get some projects done around the house.

Saturday was shot in the butt when I had to go into work from 6am to 11am. And of course Andrew had a tummy ache Saturday morning so he was crying and screaming for about two hours as Jenny tried and tried to rock him to sleep from 12am to 2am-ish. He finally rolls over, cracks a fart, and falls asleap. So about 3 hours of actual sleep before the alarm went off. I Came home from work and basically watched kids until she got home from work and then we just spent a quiet night home. I would have tried to get my work done Saturday night when she got home, but it is such a pain in the butt with William trying to "help" and I was just dog tired. That and I had to cut off all of the water in the house to repair the shower and didn't feel like doing that with the family there. I figured Sunday when Jen and the kids are over at the in-laws I can sneak away and get some stuff done. Of course I am so tired I fell asleep in the chair and I miss the end of the Notre Dame game...son of a b***ch. They were playing like crap and wasn't expecting them to win anyway, but I just miss one of the greatest comebacks of the year. I woke up just enough toward the end of the game to see what I thought was the score through sleepy eyes. I told Jen in the morning that I was dreaming, or I missed a great comeback. I missed a great comeback.

Sunday morning was William's turn to get up crying and screaming at 4 am. Now usually when he gets up in the middle of the night, I can put him back down in bed and he immediately goes to sleep, but something was bugging him. So about an hour of him fussing around, HE rolls over, cracks a fart, and goes to sleep. What is it with our kids and gas??? I am saying it was the bag of popcorn that he had in the afternoon. After that, the kids kinda sleep in and we get up and had breakfast. We head over to the in-laws around noon for the usual lunch/visit and hear about their vacation to colonial Williamsburg. So I sneak away around 4pm and head to my brother's house to return a miter saw that I "borrowed". So after two house of shooting the shit with my brother I head home to get my stuff done. I didn't realize that it was so late so I basically had about an hour to get two projects done before heading back to the in-laws to pick up Jen and the kids. So I kill the water in the house and replace a cartridge in the shower handle that should fix the leaking problem. I go down to the basement to turn the water back on to the house, and by the time I get back upstairs the shower is running, which is usually a good thing, but not when the knob is in the "off" position. I thought for a second that I had installed this cartridge upside down, but I didn't. I quickly fixed the problem and it worked fine after that. Next was replacing the ballcock in the toilet downstairs. Yeah I know.. I said "ballcock" (snicker) . When replacing this part you have to bolt the part in the bottom of the tank. It said in bold letters DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Excuse me? so you have to guess how tight to put on this bolt. Not tight enough to crack the tank, but tight enough so it doesn't leak all over the place. I just snugged it enough and just prayed it was enough. Shortly after replacing this part I headed out door to pick up the family, hoping and praying that I wouldn't come home to a toilet leaking all over the place and a shower erupting like a geyser. But so far so good, no leaks, but it's still nagging me enough that I want to tighten stuff a little bit more, but when I do that kind of stuff, that's when I get into trouble. Hopefully I will soon forget about it.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Marksodumbaz predicts: "You are proceeding with two errors; assuming making an ass out of u and me; and second-guessing yourself. I see great issues, problems indeed." Notice I didn't write in quatraines?