Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Memory

I wonder why my memory is swiss cheese. How come I remember the dumbest detail about something I knew years ago, but I can't remember what happened last weekend. I guess I just have a memory for unimportant stuff.

I can remember a combination to a lock that I have owned since the 80's, but haven't used in at least 15 years. I came upon this lock while moving to a new house (I don't remember which house.. there have been so many) and I had forgotten to write down the combination, but I rattled of the combination 8, 38, 24 and it opened. I have since written down the combination on a piece of tape and stuck it to the back of the lock "just in case".

while on my trip to Ireland they had a contest to see who could guess how far it was from Fort Wayne to Ireland. I got it within about 20 miles. No one else was close. Someone asked me how the hell I knew that and I just had to say I read it or heard it someplace and remembered, but I have to pause to remember what year I was married (don't tell Jenny) I get it right, but I have to pause.

Why do I remember cartoons like Speed Buggy, Hong Kong Phooey, Quick Draw Mcgraw, and why do I remember the theme song from the cartoon Godzilla series. "UP FROM THE DEPTHS.... THIRTY STORIES HIGH.. BREATHING FIRE..HE'S HEADING FOR THE SKY.. GODZILLA.. GODZILLA... and godzooky"

I guess what I choose to remember is just a little different from everyone else.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

BTW: I hate that you have put that wretched song in my head now!!

I'd like to visit Ireland!