Wednesday, March 29, 2006

They call this a party?

Before getting married, I became aware of a activity that people, mostly women, ok all women get involved in. I call them the vicious cycle parties. They are also known as stamp parties, candle parties, and other various home selling businesses. The first personal experience I had with this is when a guy called me up and said he was a friend of Monkeyjack and would like to give me a short (yeah right short) presentation for some knives he was selling. Being a good friend, and now knowing what it was exactly was going on I agreed to this meeting. After an hour or so of this guy showing me all of the wonderful things this Cutco knife could do, I really wasn't to interested in what he was selling. I was also cursing Monkeyjack under my breath for unleashing this yahoo on me. But I finally agreed to buy a knife to get this guy out of my house. Yeah, I still have this knife and it is as sharp as the day I bought it and fantastic, but I didn't know that then. (I had bought this cleaner stuff from a guy going door to door that I believe was just some DAWN soap in water, so I was a bit gun shy). Before this guy will leave he insists that I give him a referral to another person and won't leave until I give him one. This is where I found out that this guy wasn't really a friend of Monkeyjack, more of an acquaintance, and this is how he keeps the vicious cycle going. I give him my brothers phone number, and as soon as the door hits this guy in the butt, I am on the phone with my brother telling him that this guy is not a friend, so the decision for the presentation is all his.

Anyway, while dating my wife, she would occasionally be unavailable for a date due to having to go to a party. I have leaned over the years about the different types of parties that there are. I think she has been to about every type of party, except for a toy party. (Not a kid's toy party but a (buzz buzz) adult TOY party). I have heard about these parties but never really knew anyone who went to one and admitted it. We currently have a whole closet full of candle crap from all the candle parties that she has been to.

The thing with those parties is that one party spawns another party. Usually one person at the party agrees to host another party with "other" friends and family and so the vicious cycle begins. But in this world of housewife wholesale there is a few things that I actually find useful, quality made and interesting. Dicsovery (kids) Toys is one, but Pampered chef sells some cool kitchen gadgets that are useful. My wife hosted a pampered chef party last Friday at our house, and along with the cool stuff I saw, she actually got a recipe for a appetizer that is delicious. Usually I clear out for those parties, but this time I stayed at the house since most of the participants at the party were friends and family. I hid upstairs in our bedroom, but it just proves to me I need to get my basement setup sometime soon for a "guys" getaway location.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Those cutco guys are evil. We bought one just to get rid of the guy too.

If he comes back I'm going to stab him with it. Yeah, it's still sharp too.

MR said...

See, this is why I'm bad at relationships. You called her and she said she couldn't go out on a date with you because she had to go to some candle party. Now ME, I'd have been like "where are you priorities? You puttin' me on the back burner?" And I'd try to imagine if I would cancel a date with her for, oh let's see... a party where we trade baseball cards. Then I'd be like "strike one, two and three woman! You're outta there."

...then I'd burn all of her possessions on the front lawn and pray to whatever god would listen for revenge.

but maybe I've got issues.