Thursday, March 23, 2006

St. Patricks Day

There are some holidays that I get excited about and some that I could care less. One of the holidays I really enjoy is St. Patricks Day. Being of Irish decent it feels good to take a day and celebrate my heritage. Also having visited the Emerald Isle, I feel a connection.

But being my life.... nothing is normal in the celebration.

I have found the most informative video about the history of St. Patrick and his life was from a Veggie Tales video my son has. The video is a "cliff notes" of the history of St. Patrick. You would think it would be from a website or a big book, but nope, Veggie Tales.

The beer I chose to celebrate the day?.. Guiness?.. Harp?... nope, a beer from the bahamas called "Kalik". I would have bought some Harp, but my mom just returned from Florida and was able to get some of the hard to get imported beer. So I just put some dreadlocks under my big green hat. I got hooked on Kalik when my brother and I went to the bahamas for a day trip a bunch of years ago. While they were selling the usual Bud Light, miller light stuff for almost $4 a can we could get this local beer for about a buck...score!! Another bonus was that the beer was alot more potent than the american stuff. After a couple of these, my brother and I were feeling real good. So, I would drink it when I got down to the bahamas. We found out they were selling it in the states and pick up some whenever we get down to Florida. Either the stuff they import into the states isn't as potent or I have a higher tollerance, but it just doesn't have the kick like that first time. (I think they sell the more potent stuff only down there under the "gold" label)

Anyway, back to St. Patricks Day. What to eat? I love a good Reuben sandwich and usually treat myself to this on St. Patricks day, but damn, St. Patricks day on a friday during lent, (No Meat). So cheese pizza it is.

What to watch? We don't have cable TV so the usual fare of movies aren't availble. I do have "The Quiet Man" on DVD... cool. It's a good John Wayne movie. I need to find Darby O'Gill and the little people sometime too. Plan was to put the kids to bed and put in the movie. No problem, right? Nope. William gets an ear infection, so it is a battle to get him his medicine, get him settled into bed and finally asleap. So I finally start my movie with my beer and about halfway through I fall asleap. I wake up as the final credits are rolling.. damn.

Maybe next year it will be a normal St. Patricks day, but I doubt it.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

No mention of the snake stamper outer concept? hmmmm. We be jammin' ... we be jammin' ... Let's drink on through to Electric Avenue, and denn we dake eet ey'r. I like Beamish! Full, thick, but not as dark as Guiness. It's really expensive, but it takes fine from the can. Guiness from the bottle is, uh, well ... nasty. I've never had the chance for draft, which Dave has mentioned is exceptional and is a three minute pour.