Monday, October 02, 2006

Birthday Party

Sunday was Andrews 1st birthday party. His actual birthday is on Tuesday, but kids' birthday parties usually fall on the weekend before and usually on a Sunday (or so I have been informed). Usually Jen and I plan the hell out of parties that we have, but we didn't do that for this one which was nice, and a bit unerving. We had discussed the menu a little bit a few weeks ago, but hadn't really talked much about it lately. We have both been working so much that we hadn't had a sit down together meal in a while. Jen tells me that she is getting ready to mail out the invitations, where I inform her that it's less than a week away, so phone calls instead of snail mail. The day really snuck up on us. We rushed around trying to get the house cleaned up, and food prepared for Sunday, which wasn't easy with both of us working during Saturday. I was planning on getting alot of stuff done, but I worked 6a-3p and Jen worked too, so I got a few things done Saturday night when she got home, but the real work came Sunday morning. We were both rushing around cooking, cleaning, washing boys, etc, etc. Finally about an hour before the party Jen informs me that she has to go out and get balloons for the party. What? And they have to be special balloons and go all the way over to the mall (on a sunday afternoon). I am thinking that Scott's or Krogers have balloons too, what makes them so special. Well found out there wasn't really anything special about them other than they had Winnie the pooh characters on them. I guess they aren't available at Scott's/Kroger? But it worked out.

The weather on Sunday was very nice. It was so nice I ended up wearing shorts and my "Charlie Harper" (two and a half men) shirt all day and was comfortable. The swingset got it's first real test with 4 kids crawling all over it and jumping in and out of it. Finally we grabbed some lunch. I cranked up the industial hot dog steamer that has been in our family forever that is capable of cooking 40 hot dogs at one time. I also defrosted some of my coney sauce. So after eating we did the whole present thing. Of course Andrew has no clue what is really going on so William was very helpful into tearing into Andrews presents and playing with them too. Now if William will let Andrew play with his own toys that would be good. We moved on to cake and ice cream, and we gave Andrew his own little cake. I was expecting the whole scene where the kid tears into the cake and gets it all over, but Andrew wasn't really sure what to do with the cake in front of him. Either that or he was wondering why everyone and 3 cameras were pointed at him. So finally we put a little bit of frosting into his mouth and then he got the concept. OOOHHH GOOOD. He tore into the cake and downed about half of it (of course alot ending up in his shirt to). After the cake, everyone basicly headed to the door which I didn't understand at first since I am used to people hanging out for a while, but hey it's a kids birthday party. After a quick half-assed clean up, Jen and I hit the couch exhausted. That's one down....

2 comments:

CAQuincy said...

Andrew's gift is purchased. Now I just have to pack it and ship it. Knowing my record here, I'm guessing he'll at LEAST get it by X-mas. Then it'll take another THREE months to get the X-mas gifts sent! But at least I've learned my lesson--no more bbq sauce--unless it's packaged by professionals, that is!

Marcus said...

The party sounded like fun -- for the kids. As for the parents, the ends justify the means.