Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How cool is that????

I was reading some of the news stories on the internet yesterday and one said how you would be able to see the international space station and the shuttle fly overhead at night with the naked eye. I followed the link to the NASA website that tells you when and where you can see stuff flying over your head. It said that we could see the ISS and the shuttle at 10:30 last night and kind of gave you an idea of the direction it would be flying. I went outside to see if I could see the event and wasn't really sure what to look for, and I was expecting to see something moving slowly across the sky. Suddenly I saw two bright objects going across the sky. They were going alot faster than I thought but still you could see them clearly. I was able to watch them for just about 20-40 second before going behind the trees. They look just like bright lights of a plane, but I think I will break out the bioculars tonight to see what I can see. The ISS can be seen for the rest of the week, but the durations of the sightings only are 1 - 4 minutes a night so keep a close look out.

Link to see space stuff fly over (follow links to your local state/city):

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

Other cool space stuff and viewing of planets:

http://www.jackstargazer.com/

1 comment:

Marcus said...

That's great! I've never had luck with the sightings. Generally I blinked, scratched my eye or butt at the time and missed it. Otherwise, I'd get this tip -- at 3:00 to 4:30 in the monrning through much of the Northern Hemisphere, you will be entreated with a meteor shower you can see.

Local conditions with my tired butt up at a time I should be sleeping -- cloudy.