Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Monday Morning Hookey

Monday morning I had a dentist appointment at 8:00am and decided rather than just taking an hour off work, I decided to make it half a day. Dentist appointment went pretty good with no cavities or stuff, but I did get yelled at for not flossing. No matter how old you are there is still something about disappointing the dentist. I actually should say the dental technician since she is the one that does all the work where the dentist blows in looks at my teeth and blows out. I think he was in the room long enough to ask me how I was doing and everything looked good.. that's it.
After the dentist I decided that I had enough time to play 9 holes of golf. I headed to Arlington Park Golf course. I call this course my "home" course since this is the course that I started playing golf. My brother and I were the first people to play the course when it opened up years ago. We lived just off the 4th tee-off until the mid 90's. I hadn't played the course in years, but the last time I played it was around $6 for 9 holes which isn't too bad for a course that is a little rough (has a tendency to flood during hard rain storms) and has no electric carts or frills. The guy working the counter told me it would be $10.50 for 9. That's a little salty for this course, but actually not too bad considering what the other courses in town want for 9 or 18 holes. I was half expecting to play the course by myself since it was 9:00 am on a Monday, but there were a few other people on the course (mostly gray hairs). That is the other thing that I like about this course is that it's not too busy. Overall I would have to say that the course is still in pretty good condition... I played like crap... but the course is in good condition. First hole of the season I shank my tee shot to the left into a tree, over hit the green by 30 yards, and 3 putt the green. sigh. Its fun to see how trees have grown on the course making some of the "shortcuts" that we took as kids are no longer available. I think I only shot par on one hole with the rest bogey, double bogey, or worse, but still it was good to be out on the course.
After playing I headed over to Menards to save big money and then home to eat lunch and visit with the kids. The afternoon at work went very fast. I might have to look into more of those half-day getaways on occasion.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

You see, I was getting some fresh air and moving, which in turn brought more oxygen to my brain and helped me at work, so therefore, I plan to deduct the half day of work as medical leave on my taxes.

MR said...

returning to work, Dave is confronted by the boss: "So, while you're in the dentist chair, do they put a sunlamp on you at no extra cost?"