Monday, July 16, 2007

Birthday weekend

Yeah Saturday was my birthday. 40 years old. Shit. Everyone around me is telling me its not a big deal, but the majority of them are under 40 so come and see me in a few years :)

Friday: It started last year where I would bring my hot dog steamer and a batch of my coney sauce and treat the staff here at work to coney dog Friday, so I did it again this year. It was a pretty good time and the coneys turned out real good too. Yum. Some of the other staff people brought some chips and pop so I didn't have to eat the entire cost of the lunch like last year. Friday night Jen and I were going to go out to the Cinema Grille and see Harry Potter since she had to work Saturday night (my birthday). About 1 in the afternoon I she called and informed me that she had to go into work since another manager couldn't make it in so that shot those plans in the butt. Welcome to the world of retail management. So I went home and the boys and I just hung out.

Saturday: After waking up and heading downstairs. Jen presented me with some birthday gifts. A new remote control for the TV, a bag of circus peanuts (I LOVE THEM), and a boccie ball set (will go well next to the cornhole game next time at Jeff's). She also got me a polo shirt that I think was supposed to be a father's day gift but left in the back of the car. After Jen left for work my mom called and she came over and we ended up ordering pizza and drinking a few beers and visiting.

Sunday: We woke up and headed for church. After we got home we weren't really sure what we were up to for the day. We had talked about doing the cinema grille thing that day or just grabbing a nice lunch. We decided to grab a nice lunch and do the Harry Potter thing next weekend. We called around for babysitters but weren't able to find one on such short notice. Yeah I know we should have planned the day out better and arranged stuff but I didn't feel like doing that. So we ended up taking the kids with us to Lunch at Outback Steakhouse. Last time we were there Andrew was in a bassinet so that makes it over a year ago. Overall the boys did pretty good. Andrew got bored and started fussing about halfway through lunch and William had to make 3 trips to the bathroom. After lunch we took the boys home and put Andrew down for a nap. I took off and bought a new golf glove and headed to the golf range to hit a bucket of balls. I get to play in a golf outing on Friday so I needed to hit a bucket to make sure I didn't embarrass myself like in my last round a month ago. I get to the driving range and throw my new glove into my bag. I have the whole range to myself. I first head to the grassy area on the left side of the range since I like to hit off the grass rather than the mats since it gives a better response to what I would do on the course. I see the grassy area on the left is pretty rough and real spotty so I head to the grassy area on the right side of the range. Now this is at least a 500 yard walk so it's a pretty good stretch of the legs. I find the grassy area on the right in the same sad shape so decide to hit from the mats and walk halfway back to the pro shop to a mat, whereupon I find that I have lost my new golf glove. Crap. Did I leave it in the car? So walk back to the car and no glove, back to the grassy area on the left and no glove and walk all the way back to the grassy area on the right and there it is. So I have already walked a couple miles in finding a place to hit and then in search of my glove. I know the girl working the pro shop was wondering what the hell I was doing. I hit the entire huge bucket and overall hit them pretty good and straight with a couple of total flubs. I can tell it had been a while since my left forearm was getting tight. I went home and hung out with the family for the rest of the night.


There is a mental state in the idea of being 40 years old, kinda like a halfway point. From now on birthdays with zeros at the end are getting bigger and bigger. It's like you try to throw on the brakes but to no avail. To me age on a calendar is just a way of counting days, I think of my age is just the way I feel, and so far I fell pretty good.

1 comment:

CAQuincy said...

A little late commenting, but I've been a bit busy here at work (and fretting over life decisions--go figure).

Um, anyway, Happy Belated.

BTW: don't know if it helps, but you don't LOOK 40. And just think, having young kids helps you look younger, too! ;-)