Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter Widower Diary

Another "what happened" weekend

Friday - I got to play in a golf outing at Gray Goose in Decatur with my boss from work, all expenses paid whooo hoooo!! It was a beautiful day outside. How did I play? uhhh yeah....It was a beautiful day outside. Man I played like total crap. Even though it's a Florida scramble and I don't play that often I count on contributing to the score more often, or at least give the team a few options. Two years ago when I played in this outing I was the designated driver since I could get off the tee box pretty good. I had more flubbed shots then I have ever had in my life. I had a number of really nice shots, but the flubs won. I think I was trying too hard, but when I had a few beers at the turn I started to calm down a little bit and not really care. We ended up tying for 3rd place in our flight with a 63 and I brought home a few giveaways for the kids to play with. Overall it was better than working for the day. Friday night I was thinking of running out to the store to get the new Harry Potter book for Jen at midnight, but I chose sleep instead. That and she wouldn't be able to start reading until she got home from work Sat. afternoon.

Saturday - The usual 8:00am wake up with the boys. We all just hung out at the house. For our Anniversary I bought Jen a Jack Skellington Picture that was pretty cool and hung it over the bed. It actually looks pretty good there and we might leave it. Jen got home at 1:00 and went into immediate "Harry Potter" mode where she was on the couch reading her book and oblivious to everyone and everything. I took William for his haircut at 3:00. Overall he did pretty good, but started crying and fidgeting halfway through. When we got home we packed up the boys and all their stuff and went to Grandma's house. This is our first experiment of letting the boys spend the night with grandma. Jen and I left the kids at grandma's (I don't think they even cared that we left). Then the big question was "what do we do without kids?". It was our Anniversary, but we hadn't really planned anything. Options were Cinema grille to see harry potter, just go and see harry potter, or do a nice dinner. We finally ended up going to Triangle Park for a nice dinner. After a nice dinner it was 8:00pm and again it was "what next?" There was no reason to go home since we didn't have to put kids to bed and I didn't feel like going home yet. I knew that Jen wanted to get back to her book so that was also a consideration. I decided that we should drop in on the Cramers for a surprise visit and wouldn't you know it they weren't home. Neither was Tracy. Crap. So I finally lamented and we went home. Man we are getting to be old fuddy duddies. Jen went into "Harry Potter" mode and I worked on cleaning up the basement from the flood a couple of days ago.

Sunday - Without children crawling all over me, I had the chance to sleep in, but not the ability. I can only lay down for so long before my back starts to hurt. I woke up at 8:00 but was able to sleep on and off for another hour. Jen got ready for work and I got ready to pick up the kids. My father-in-law calls me about working on the water heater. A little bonus from the basement flood is that I noticed that everything else had dried up besides the area around the water heater. Then I noticed water leaking from the heater. Son of a B****. So after picking the kids up at grandma's (it went relatively well) I took the kids over to the other Grandma's for the day so Tom and I could work on water heater replacement. First stop was Lowes to pick up the water heater and some supplies. Second stop was to Menards (for more supplies) after getting the heater home and seeing that we will have to adjust the gas/water pipes to get it to work since this new heater isn't exactly like the 16 year old one in the basement (go figure). After all this running around it's already 5:00pm and we figure that we better not start now since we still would have hours of work to do, so we decide to put everything back to the way it was (thank God we didn't tear out the old one like I wanted to do early on).....The third stop was to Menards again for more supplies since we broke a valve that allows water into the water heater. Hopefully the heater will hold out until next weekend. So back to the in-laws to pick up the car and head back home to try and air the house out to get the smell of stinky carpet out of the house. We put the kids to bed and Jen went back to "Harry" mode. She finished the book a little after midnight.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

And so Dave became the most feared water heater fighter in Northern Indiana. Sticklefipher!

Jack skeleton over your bed and the kids later, when visiting mom and dad at night, developed nightmares. Correlation -- maybe.

I'd skip the old club thing in favor of a self-made pneumatic ball gun that fires the golf ball with variable air pressure. So it'd be like playing "artillery" on the golf course.

Thank goodness Jen doesn't like the authors that pump out books several times annually, like:

quasi-romance novel blah blah
[switch character names and setting locations ... reprint]