Friday, February 20, 2009

Are you kidding me?

For St. Valentine's day I stopped by the Debrand's store to pick up a little something for Jen. It's her favorite chocolates, but I can't stand the stuff. I don't think it's worth the extra $$, but it's her favorite. So I walk in the store and they have a display of heart shaped boxes already made up and ready for purchase. They have 1/2 pound, 1 pound, and 8 pound heart shaped boxes. I see they have a price list on the counter and it says that the 1/2 pound box is $29.99. Even though I buy Jen a box of Debrands a couple of times a year I can never remember how much I usually spend on it. I am getting ready to as for it when I decide to look around a little bit since she also likes the Truffles. I ask what kind of candy is in the heart shaped box and she tells me that it's the same candy that is in the 1/2 pound rectangle box. So I continue to look a little and I happen to hear the lady next to me ask how much the rectangle shaped box is, and the lady behind the counter says that it is $19.99. Wha? The counter lady comes back to me and I ask, "so the chocolate is the same, but you are charging $10 more for a heart shaped box?". She says "Yes". I was close to leaving this rip-off place, but remembered that it's Jen's favorite, so I buy a rectangle box. As I am leaving I notice that I could have bought an empty heart shaped box for $1.95!! WTH??? I know things will become inflated around the so called holiday, but dang....I also found out that they charge like $2.50 for ONE truffle. I just don't get it..

No comments: