Thursday, January 19, 2006

Close Call

I have found out that in the subdivision that we moved into basically becomes an ice rink when it snows even a little bit (Nice job city). So I have learned to take extra time and throw the car into neutral when coming up to all intersections. This morning I am heading to a 4-way stop and I notice a car come flying up to the 4 way so I started breaking early. Needless to say this car slid through the 4-way and to make things worse he was turning left (the direction I was coming). So out of control car, sliding and turning left, right where I was going. On dry pavement I have a few more decisions of avoiding the accident, when it's a sheet of ice the options are few. I basically was thinking there is no way of avoiding the accident and I was getting ready to brace myself. But then things kind of went into slow motion and I found option #2. Throw the car into neutral, take my foot off the brake and cut the wheel to the left to go into the lane that this yahoo should have been in, and it worked. He ended up in my lane and I ended up in his. Looking over at this yahoo I could see he was a kid and really showing no remorse for almost hitting me he kept going and so did I. Luckil the guy behind this yahoo approached the intersection correctly and stopped so I could turn.
I want to curse this guy out and call him all kinds of names, but I remember when I was that age and how stupid I drove a car. One day, late to school I was going way to fast on a snowy road and approached an intersection where the light changed. I panicked, hit the brakes hard and lost control on an icy road. I threw the car into neutral as my dad told me but in my panic I was not pumping the brakes and kept my fatal slide toward this busy intersection. I finally panicked so bad that I actually threw the car into PARK to try and stop the slide, but this just did nothing. Luckily I was able to have enough mental control to steer the car into a snow drift just before the intersection thus avoiding a really bad situation. I remember how I felt after that experience, my heart racing, thinking about it for the rest of the day. I don't know if it is my age or experience but today calmer head prevailed and I was able to think my way out of it. I am still mad at this kid for driving like that, but all I can do is hope that he has learned a lesson and that he gained some experience.

No comments: