Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My son is so helpful

Ever since we put our 2.5 year old in a big boy bed, his time to wake up has become earlier and erratic. When he was still in the crib, even though he could escape, you could count on him at least staying in the room until 8:00ish, not anymore. I was lucky that this weekend when he came strolling into our room at 5:00am I was able to get him back to bed for a couple more hours. Lately, during the week he has been coming into our room around 7:00ish. I think he hears the alarm/radio that I use to wake me up. Usually he crawls in bed with Jen and I and just lays there until I get ready to go downstairs. Usually when he comes into our room I end up being late to work since he "helps" me get ready and I have to wait for Jen to get up too since I don't trust him being alone downstairs after I leave. Why you might ask? Well, Jen left him alone downstairs for a few minutes yesterday and he proceeded to get into the pantry and tear apart a yellow box of a taco dinner kit thinking that it was a box of wheat thins (his favorite). Luckily the kit comes individually packaged so there wasn't a mess everywhere, but the box has seen better days.

That being said, this morning he comes strolling into the bedroom around 6:45 which is close to the time I get up to get ready, so no big deal. I get into the shower and he follows me into the bathroom to play with his bath toys and see what else he can get into. I look out the frosted window and see him playing with something. So I open the door and see that he is playing with my new electric razor. He looks at me sheepishly and tries to hand me the razor, since he knows it's mine. I tell him that I don't really need my NEW ELECTRIC razor in the shower and ask him to put it back. But just like a 2.5 year old he continues to play with it and finds the feature where the sideburns attachment pops out which is funny to him. So I finally ask him to give the razor to me and I was planning on putting the razor on the top of the shower door, when I realize that he had turned the razor on the whole time he was playing with it, so he basically ran the battery down to nothing... so much for being on time today. I knew the battery was getting a little low on charge, but I guess it couldn't make it the 6 or 8 minutes I was in the shower. So as soon as I got out of the shower I plugged it in, hoping that it would charge enough in the few minutes that I did my other bathroom duties. Nope.. I got halfway to my chin and it just stopped (of course with a few whiskers pulled in the blades). So the scramble begins to find my straight razor and gel which I haven't used since we moved into the new house and I have no idea when Jen put them. So scramble, scramble, shave, get dressed,grab my lunch, head out the door. I start the car and notice that my son has opened the door to the garage and it looking at the car. Time be damned, I got out of the car and told him bye and that I would see him later, which made him happy. I don't know how but I made it to work with a minute to spare. Maybe I should try and get up earlier, or maybe I should just make sure the razor has a full charge at all times.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

That sounds fun ... dangerous, and like something that will get old/tiresome quickly. He sounds like a great helper, just not supplying the help that you need.

Thanks Will!