Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Man, I need cable

Since moving into our house one of the things we haven't done is signed up for cable TV. First it was because we couldn't decide whether to get cable or dish, and then it became more of a financial decision not to get it. After living without cable for a couple of months and only watching the old UHF we noticed we really didn't need cable tv since the networks offer enough programming. We have become big fans of pbs since they usually have something on interesting when the networks stink. Usually finding something to watch isn't that difficult (unless it's during the week during the day... sorry jen). Anyway Sunday I am taking care of the boys and having a hard time finding ANYTHING to watch. I am very lucky since I can put in a movie for William and do the picture in picture thing so he can watch a little screen in the corner of the big screen to keep him entertained (he doesn't need sound).

So I come across the finals of the world cup soccer match and decide to watch a little since it was the final. I noticed something good was going on during the match! The referee pretty much kept the whistle in his pocket and made the guys play ball. One of the annoying things that I had watched in the earlier rounds was the stoppage of play when anyone was accidentally tripped or if they had to actually fight a little rough for the ball. Everytime someone hit the ground they would throw there hands up in the air expecting a penalty, and most times they received them. These guys were more actors than athletes with all the "flopping" that they were doing, but this final the ref actually made them play. That made watching this two hour boredom of watching guys running around and kicking a ball a LITTLE more entertaining. The most entertaining part was the vicious "head-butt" of another player which made it feel a little more like American football. (if you haven't seen the video, it's all over the web). Yes I actually watched the whole thing including the overtimes and penalty kicks. I doubt that soccer will ever become the World sport that it is in Europe (thank God). I think after that I watched a program on PBS about gay Macedonian kings who loved sheep or something like that. Man I need cable.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Did the wife come out and scream, "Oh, and I thought you were so rugged! All this time I thought you were just shearing them!" Getting fitted for a wool coat?

Anyway ... yeah ... the sparse selection can make you dream of more entertaining TV. Sadly, during the day there are hours of REALLY bad cartoons, soaps and the so-called music video channels.

A channel that they should make optional is Lifetime for women. This channel generally shows women being beaten, raped, abused in other ways, killed. The strange thing is, those shows are watched by women. Why the hell? Then some viewers are moody after watching them. I wonder why.

Comcast is the new Walletbuster. I'm hoping after getting a different job that I can get FiOS then will later bring in cable channels at a competative rate to Comcast. Comcast hasn't lowered their rates, yet have the money to try to buy Disney twice? If you have Comcast, I do, you're gettin' screwed!

That being said, yes ... many more channels can be good. I still haven't found jack I like to watch. There's a History Mystery hunter who builds up a story then debunks it always at the end. Why the heck would I watch it? I saw it twice, in pieces ... no more. Kings of Soddom, doing unnatural things with citizenry and livestock would be more interesting -- if they don't show anything.