Wednesday, July 19, 2006

mmmm... pizzzaaaaa

Every once in a while Jen and I treat ourselves to a little Italian carry-out. We don't usually go to the cookie cutter pizza places in the area. We treat ourselves to grinders and sausage rolls from a little place called Riverbend Pizza on the corner of St. Joe Rd. and Wheelock. It's an old converted gas station (you can still see where the pumps used to be), where it's carry-out only. There isn't any room in the building for seats. It's run by this jolly old guy with a gray handlebar mustache that has some connection to the old Lexy's pizza (according the the literature on his waiting room wall). They make the best sausage rolls and the grinders remind me of the old Hoffman House grinders if you are familiar with those (pizza is pretty good too). The changeable sign in front of the building usually has a cute saying on it like "you'll be graduate our pizza" around time of school getting out.

I have only one small complaint about this place.. Our "usual" ends up being about $11.17 with .83 cents change. This place (usually the jolly old soul) gives me a 50 cent piece as change every time we go there. Now I know it's "cute and unique" to give out these coins, but they are pretty much useless. You can't use them in vending machines and they are big and bulky in you pockets. Most businesses don't have a place in their registers for these coins so I feel kinda bad using these coins in other businesses and passing along this burden. So I have come up with a few ideas to return the "cute and unique" idea to the pizza place. I am going to save up all these coins and pay for the pizza the next time we go there or maybe I will return the favor by using Susan B. Anthony or Saquaguia dollar coins the next time. Maybe I will pay for the food the next time using $2 bills. I don't want to get too "cute and unique" with this small business in fear of being banned from the establishment.. "NO PIZZA FOR YOU"!!!!

2 comments:

Marcus said...

We like to go there because, though the pumps are gone, dinner still gives us gas -- ha, ha. Convenience has something to do that as well? I've never been there and few places make really good veggie pizza -- the pizza that I eat. Distant, to be sure, but Laycoff's, I think, make Grinders and many other more Italian foods (Americanized), roughly across from Glenbrook.

MR said...

You think one or two of those fifty cent pieces is bulky in your pocket, try carrying a whole roll of them! Or an equivalent "endowment."

Don't let MDH fool you, I saw him put a hurtin' on a medium meatless Pizza (the) Hut taco pizza. The pizza, although overwelmed by the attack, was aware of it's fate; after all it was a medium.