Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Welcome to the Big Top

Saturday we took William to the circus for the first time. I wanted to wait until he would be able to appreciate the circus before taking him. I thought about going last year, but missed the dates they were in town. We left Andrew with the grandparents for the night. The one thing I wanted to go to was the circus fair before the actual circus. William loves animals but never has really seen lions, elephants and mini-horses in person. We went into the fair and I showed him the lions just lounging in their cages and taking naps. I don't think that he got the concept that they were actually alive and not just stuffed animals in the cage. Finally we walked toward the elephant area and you could see his eyes get wide as he saw an elephant in person for the first time. Then we run into Keith and Lori and their crew (small world). Jen was visiting with them, but William wanted to see more so him and I went to the other areas of the fair. I saw that one of the mini-horses was close enough to the fence to pet so I took him over there to pet the horse and get a picture. Another thing that William was thrilled by were the Peg Perego/power wheel vehicles at one display. I was going to see if he could drive one of those things, but unfortunately the line was a little long and we were running out of time. We might have to look into getting one of those for him this year. My mom doesn't like those things and thinks all of those kinds of toys should be pedal powered. We will see. William also got to stand close to where they give the elephant rides so he got to see the elephant about 3 feet away. He really enjoyed that. They gave the 10 minute warning to the circus so we were going to head up to the circus with Keith and Lori, but just about everyone in their group needed a potty break before, so we decided to head up since that could take a while.

The circus was delayed for 10 minutes since the weather outside was crappy so they wanted to allow people to get inside. Our seats weren't too bad, I was told that they were on the isle, but that wasn't the case, they were 4 seats from the isle. They started the show with all the lights and things going on. William was so intent on trying to see everything he wasn't paying attention to the acts in the rings. Man the music was soooo freaking loud to the point of being annoying, but either they turned it down or my ears adjusted since it didn't seem that bad toward the middle of the show. Of course by then a black family had taken seats behind us and of course had to talk and comment about the show, yeah, I know you don't really need to listen to a circus but it got real annoying. That and I got hit with popcorn a couple times during the show. At one point Jen took William to get changed so I had to stand up to let them out and they started commenting how I should sit down and they couldn't see, just loud enough that I could hear them, I almost said something. Anywhooooo.. overall I think William had a pretty good time. He started getting tired toward the end of the show either cause by the time (9:30pm) or the beginnings of his current cold. We stopped by steak-n-shake to grab some malts for us and the grandparents and waited 15 minutes since they were slammed due to a woodland basketball game with all of the teeny boppers taking over the place. Jenny asked me if we acted like that when we were their age, and I just said, "yeah".

1 comment:

Marcus said...

"Daddy? Why dod you [rude term] slap that family behind us?"
"You see William, when you lack the common decency of being spectators and make it miserable for everyone else, you sometimes need a jolt. That was Daddy's 'jolt' to them to jar them into being coureous, real people, not selfish pigs ruining an evening for others."

I remember a few times in the theaters that there were some people I wanted to smack the snot out of them. I also remember during Scream 2, I was someone who should have just left the theater because I loudly mocked the movie throughout.