Thursday, August 02, 2007

three checks and two half checks

Another project weekend around the homestead. Saturday my father in law came over and we installed a light below the stairs so we could see better back in the corner and also to give us more light in working on the water heater. I didn't realize that the light was something that he was planning on since he first saw our house and has had the material for it for a couple of years now. (check). He left to go to a lake party. I crawled up on the roof of the second story to finish my gutter guard project. I knew I was going to be a few pieces short but wasn't really sure how many (half check). Again the ladder wouldn't reach from the back deck either so up on the roof hanging over the edge. While installing the guards I got into an argument with a wasp, and what do you know, the wasp won. Little bastard bit me on the finger. Nothing like warding off a wasp attack on a roof two stories up. But hey I did get a chance to clean the skylight for our bathroom while I was up there. (kinda check). A little later my brother in law came over and we finally got the cabinets installed in the laundry room (huge check). They actually look pretty good. Now its up to Jen to fill them with crap. After finishing the cabinets, we attempted to cut down the stump in the front yard. I decided there was no way of pulling it out like originally planning and now I am thinking stump cutter. Unfortunately about halfway through the stump we found out that we had dulled the blade on the chainsaw and the other two in the case were dull too. So we only got half way done (half check).
Sunday was water heater day. Jen packed the kids up and headed for grandma and grandpas to spend the day while we worked on the water heater. My father in law had changed his mind a couple of times on how he wanted to replace the water heater, but finally decided to use flex hoses and compression fitting (in case you were wondering). Of course that means taking back a bag and a half of other stuff we bought working on plan "a". I had to make one more trip to Menards to get a small part that was missing on one of the valves. When I got to Menards there was a huge line and I found out that their computers were down. Crap. I was close to leaving and driving to the Menards on the other side of town when I decided to cut to the front of the line and ask real quick if I could do an exchange for the exact same valve. The girl behind the counter told me a could if it was exactly the same thing. SCORE!! I felt kinda bad leaving the store passing all the other people still waiting in line, and I almost said something to them, but I didn't want to be a jerk. By the time I got back Tom had almost finished the majority of the install. I had to make numerous trips upstairs to relieve the pressure on the system and then back up to bleed the air out of the system. We had a problem of water leaking from the connections so more trips up and down the stairs, over and over and over. I must have went up and down at least 20 times. But finally finished and so far no leaks and the water is real hot (CHECK!!!!!!!!!). After we finished we headed back to the in laws for dinner. I think I am done with some of the bigger projects around the house. I think it's time to enjoy the summer before it's gone.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Yikes!