Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New year


Happy New Year.. It's Wednesday but feels like Monday. These last two weeks have put my body schedule into a tizzy. Off two days, work half a day, off two and a half days, work 2 days, off 2 days, work half a day, off a day and a half and now work 4 days. uggghhh. But here it is 2008.

Monday was a quiet half day at work. After work I decided to hit the store for a few things to eat. With the holidays and Jen's work schedule she hadn't been able to get to the store for a couple of weeks so the cupboard was looking bare. Primarily I was looking for the makings for Reuben sandwiches (new tradition of mine) and a few things to snack on for New Years Eve for in front of the TV. Of course, Jen find out that I am going to head to the store adds to the list. Mostly staple items like eggs, milk, bread and cheesy poofs (kids love them). Now I thought the store would be a little crazy like it was on Christmas eve, but I wasn't in a real hurry to get home anyway since grandma was watching the kids. Then I start hearing the forecast for snow for New Years Eve and new years day and think Son of a B**ch. Now not only are you going to have the nuts like me stocking up on snacks and beer for the night, but now all the people who hear the word "snow" and have to buy half the freekin store. And of course they are predicting 3 to 9 inches of snow. I was ready to say that was a load of BS until I remembered they were kinda right on the last snowstorm. So there I am in Meijer on new years eve afternoon with 200 (at least) of my close personal friends. I grabbed the cart and got all of the stuff on my list including the LAST, badly dented, but not leaking can of sauerkraut. So my cart has stuff in it, but of course too much to go through the 12 items or less isle, but not by much. Every isle in the store was at least 4 deep with almost every lane open. Most people had carts loaded over the top with tons of food like they were planning on being snowed in for weeks. And then there are people like me with a small cartload stuck in the middle of it all. But I figured no matter where I would go it would be crazy, so I just picked a line and just waited my turn. It was long but not that bad, but I will no be doing that again. If we need stuff like that then I head to the store at midnight like I used to do when I was single. I got home unpacked and played with the kids.

Jen actually got off work early so we decided to head over to Jeff and Paula's for there get together. We showed up at the same time as MR and headed toward the buffet. William and Brock played together really well and were having fun. Andrew found the Christmas decoration that blew the little snowflakes in the dome and had a blast pushing that button. I got a chance to see the baby's new bedroom as well as Jeff's banister project (snicker). Around 8:00 Andrew started getting real cranky. He really wanted some pop, but we are really trying to limit the amount of pop that he gets, especially the caffeine. But he went into full tilt screaming about that. It's so hard to know how to handle him right now since William didn't do this stuff at Andrew's age. I am not sure when to discipline him so he doesn't walk all over us as parents and how much of it is him just being a 2 year old and he will grow out of. I just know that I can't let him cry out these fits since he ends up puking all over the place when he gets really worked up, and I am sure the Jeff and Paula really wouldn't want that in their house. So after trying to deal with him for a little bit we decided to head home. We wanted to get home before "amateur hour" (as Jen calls it) started with all the drunks on the road. We get home and put the boys to bed. William had a little nap in the car so he takes real long to go down. Finally I get downstairs at 10:00 and Jen is asleep in the couch. I get out my Corona and make some bagel bites to snack on. I throw Pirates of the Caribbean in and start watching that. I think at about 5 minutes before midnight I fell asleep in the chair and woke up 5 minutes after midnight. Crap. Oh well it's just a big lit ball. So I watch a little more of the movie and fall asleep again (man I am getting old). Finally trudged upstairs at 1:30 and the boys are awake at 7:30. New years day Jen went to work and the boys and I just hung out at home.

Oh and that 3 to 9 inches of snow ended up being maybe 2 inches. Stupid weathermen.

But on a good note. I finally got the snow blower to work!!!! All it took was some fresh gas and it fired right up last night. At least if we do get another big snow fall,or when we do, I will be ready since it really beats the hell out of shoveling..

No comments: