Friday, January 18, 2008

Tire Nazi

The Jeep was in serious need for new tires. I had known that they were very bad tread for a couple of months now, but wasn't really sure of the fate of the Jeep. Jen and I have looked at and driven minivans the last couple of months, but weren't sure when to really make the move to the minivan nation. We know with three boys that we are definitely going to need one eventually, but weren't sure just when. I had placed the car carrier for Christopher in the back seat of the Jeep and it fit's pretty good with the addition of a different booster seat for William. It's a tight fit, but it will work for now. So Anyway... I was dragging my feet on replacing the tires on the Jeep since I didn't want to put the cost into the car if we were getting rid of it. With the revelation of the 3 seats working in the back seat and the few winter storms that we have had I decided to go ahead and get some. (Every time it snowed it really worried me for Jen to drive the Jeep). So I call around and find a common price for new tires to be $400 which I kinda figured. I considered putting used tires on the car, but wasn't too thrilled about that either, in case we decided to keep the car a little more. And again I was concerned about Jen driving in snow on even half tread. Anyhow (again) I decided to take the time off for baby time to get the tires replaced. I called around again and heard $400 from about everyone. I was talking to my mother-in-law about taking an afternoon during baby time off to replace tires. She then asks if I have called the "tire nazi". What???? She tells me of a business in Leo that sells tires at real good prices, but the guy is a very gruff person with no personality. You tell him what you want, he gives you a price, and then move to the side. So I called the "tire nazi" with my information, and I can tell you I was a bit intimidated calling him knowing all the stores that my in-laws and Jen have had with him over the years. But they all said the price was great. Here is the conversation in a nutshell:

me: I would like to get a price on new tires for my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
him: go ahead
me: I need a price on four p225 75r 16's
him: $280 complete
me: wow that sounds like a great price. I have a few more phone calls to make but I will get back to you.
him: (click)

There was a few more things that I wanted to ask him, but I was so intimidated that I just wanted to get off the phone. I kept hearing "NO TIRES FOR YOU!!" in my head ala Seinfeld. I call back a few minutes later and asked about an appointment to get it done where I was told they don't do appointments, just show up. So after picking up William from school I decided to take him with me as the muscle. We pull up to the building and walk into this absolute garbage dump of an office... or is it a showroom.... or is it a storage room. There is bits and pieces of cars everywhere. Even duck wallpaper on the one wall that must have been 100 years old. I wish I would have taken my camera with me since I can't really put into words how much of a dump it was. But hey I am paying $120 less then anyone else. So I am standing in the "showroom" and this guy comes slowly walking in the door. "For tires for $280?". Yep, here are the keys. William and I spend the next 10 minutes walking around the showroom trying not to touch anything. The whole time I am laughing to myself and saying this is a definite experience I will remember for a long time. While standing there the phone rings... well it doesn't ring, it "quacks" (novelty phone). He comes back in and we settle the bill. Believe it or not he has a charge machine. He sits there for a minute watching "Rachael Ray" while William and I try to entertain ourselves. I was curious to talk to him and ask about the business, but I decided not to. While in the "showroom" I see an old dirty dingy sign hanging in the corner. It's the kind you can change with letters, and I see that they list shocks as a service. I ask about shocks for the car and he says "let me see" and walks out the door. A minute later he is pulling the Jeep to the front of the the building and says "$300 for four shocks" (again a great price). William and I go outside and load into the Jeep. I look at the tires, and yeah they are off brand tires, but they have great tread, and worth it if we do end up trading in the jeep in a few months. The funny part of the story is that our friend Tracy went to him in the morning and paid $280 for tires for her car, and I head him quote another price while I was standing there at $280, so he must have quite the stack in the back. I think if I go back again I will just go across the street to subway and grab a sub next time... man that was fun.

4 comments:

MR said...

Someday he'll RE-tire from the tire business... after growing tired of it.

Marcus said...

so ... where is this place? I need better tread tires for my car.

davesbeachbar said...

Leo Tire and Wheel in Leo. Just a little bit after the big curve on the right hand side. They can get brand name tires too

Anella said...

The first time I went to his shop one of his employees put me to work. He literally called me over to my car and told me to help him put the tire jack away.