Wednesday, February 08, 2006

hot glass + water = BOOOOOOM!!

I was making caramel corn for a party at my house the other night and ran out of 9 x 13 pans so I decided to use my wife's good pyrex glass dish. The recipe requires a little cook time in the oven to coat the popcorn. I made 3 batches at the same time. I started to pull them out of the oven and noticed that the caramel corn in the glass dish was actually burning the bottom of the popcorn. So I quickly got the caramel corn out of the dish throwing away the burnt stuff. But even with the pan empty, it continued to burn onto the bottom of the dish. Knowing that my wife really likes this dish, I didn't want to ruin it so I decided to stop the burning. I am not an idiot, and I know not to put water into the dish... or was it just cold water? So I put a little bit of hot water into the dish to stop the burning. The water quick evaporated and it sat there for a few minutes and continued to smoke in the kitchen. I am thinking that I have friends coming over and I really don't want them to smell smoke and think I don't know how to cook so I decide to take action. I figure it has been long enough for the dish to cool off and since the last bit of water didn't do any harm it would be alright to use some more water. I put this dish under the faucet and BANG !!! The dish exploded in the sink. At worse I thought it would just crack or something, but no it EXPLODED. I was worried about a little smoke with people coming over, but now I have to deal with broken glass all over the place. So I quickly clean up the glass and of course get some down the drain which entails me tearing apart the garbage disposal the next day. A few beers later I forgot about the dish and had a good time. Maybe I will just leave the cooking to my wife. I know she would like that and so would the cookware.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

You are lucky you weren't cut to ribbons. Ouch! To your credit, I didn't smell anything burnt. The carmel corn was quite tasty. You did a nice job.

I exploded a glass in a microwave -- out of stupidity. I was young and wanted to boil an egg quickly. I put the egg in the microwave in a glass with water. The glass blew up the microwave and the are smelled of egg for some time.
The microwave was irreparable, so we got a new one.

So I can maybe beat MR to the punch, "We've got a lot of poeple down here covered in glass." "Glass?! Who gives a ______ about glass?"