Thursday, May 25, 2006

aaahhhh memories

While talking to everyone at work about their weekend plans for memorial day, alot of them commented about going to the lake. Unfortunately my mom sold our lake cottage a few years ago, so we usually end up going up the in-laws campground for the day. It's not quite the same thing as being lakefront, but hey its a place to go without having to cut grass or pay for it.

Anyway all this lake talk got me thinking about one of the best memory or "lake stories" that I have. One weekend there was a big group of us up at the cottage, probably around 6 people with no parents around and alot of alcohol. I think we were all 21 years old, but let's just say we were. We were just having a good time joking around and drinking beer when we got the idea to lay out in the sun a little bit and maybe go for a swim. We all got our swim suits on and proceed down to the lakefront, whereupon Paul's girlfriend at the time takes off her wrap unveiling a string bikini (almost a thong). All of us guy's jaws drop as she proceeded to lay out in the sun. String bikini's should only be worn by girls who are authorized to wear something like that, and she was VERY authorized. But with any fun time there is always backlash... The neighbors (with sticks up their butts) complained to my mom, which got us a talking to, not about the drinking, but about the girl in the skimpy swimsuit. Anyway, late into the night after a full day of sun, surf, and drink we were all sitting around playing cards and I was real tired. Much to the needling of the fellow members of the group I decided to head to bed and crash probably around 2:00am or so. I get up the following morning and see that everyone else is crashed in the other bedrooms and assorted couches in the cottage. Finally around noon I see some movement from the dead. I ask my brother how late they stayed up and he informs me of the story of the night. Early in the morning, probably around 3:00am they decided to go for a late night pontoon ride. They get halfway around the lake (it's a giant circle basically) and one of the girls on the boat has to get rid of some of the beer that she has been drinking. Unlike a guy she just can't go over the side and they decide to stop. My brother turns off the engine so she can jump into the water and do her thing. After she gets back into the boat he tries to restart the motor and it won't start. So here they are, at the other side of the lake, 3:30am so they can't just swim ashore and go to another cottage for help. They decide to swim the pontoon back across the lake !!! So they take turns in the water, pulling and pushing the pontoon across the lake. No one in this group was in any condition (physically or mentally) for that kind of exercise. I think they finally made it back to the cottage around 5:00am, so now I understood why they all were asleap until noon.

The funny part is that I went down to the pontoon the next morning and it started up on the first try. I think my brother flipped me off.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Apparently he didn't try the key?