Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Damn Damn Damn

Why is it that all my posts lately have been bitching about one thing or another? It's not that I never have anything go good in my life, it's more that I need to vent about the crap that doesn't go well. Take this weekend for example, I had a relatively nice memorial day weekend. I got some work done on the landscaping around the house which made me feel good with a sense of accomplishment. We got up to the lake for a day which was alright. And we spent Monday with my mom celebrating her birthday and memorial day which were all the good things... but along with the good... Damn.

First and foremost it was hot. Not the gradual getting a little warm then hot but instant blast furnace. I was working outside for most of the day Saturday in the heat. I really don't mind getting a good sweat on if I am getting the job done, but I look forward to the relief of a little Air Conditioning every once in a while for a break. We turned on the AC Saturday morning to just cool the house a little bit, and waited and waited. It turns out the Mother F&%$#$* AC isn't working. Never having owned a heat pump I really don't know how these thing work (or don't work) or that they are tied into the AC unit as well. You wouldn't think a thing called a HEAT pump would have to do with cooling, but anyway. When we bought this house our home inspector told us that the Heat Pump wasn't working correctly, but according to the guy (that the former home owner hired to look it over) it was working just fine. Luckily we already had the guy scheduled to look at the heat pump on Tuesday so we were already on the schedule. He found that we had a bad coil and a system with no Freon at all and it had been that way for quite some time and burned it out. Damn. Yeah we got a home warranty with the new house so all the repairs only cost us $100, but still I would love to get my hands on the SOB that said it was working correctly. We dealt with the same crap at Pine Valley when we moved in there we had to replace AC condenser, water heater, and some furnace parts. But that was a 30 year old house, this one is 10 years old!

So Saturday through today (Wednesday) we still don't have any AC (they need 2-3 days to get another coil). I can deal with the heat, but it's the kids that I worry about getting real hot and trying to sleep in the heat. So far they have done pretty well with the addition of another fan upstairs.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Yeah .. 90s, ouch! I remember the good old days in my youth without AC, only fans -- one large one in the basement where most of us spent our time, it being the coolest region. While there was a pool to which we belonged, it was faster to spread your sweaty stink from the fan, than to bike over to the pool to get wet and sunburnt.

Yeah, I work at GM and I'm part of the oversight committee to ensure quality, no bias there, right?

Don't do the strangling personally ... find his workplace and making working there ... uncomfortable, just as you were this weekend.

CAQuincy said...

Hmmm....maybe you need a good, worry-free vacation.