Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Man I am getting old

I finally got my new glasses on Friday. This is the first time that I got a pair of glasses from somewhere else than my optometrist. In the neverending search to save money I found out that I can go to certain places and my insurance will cover part of the cost. So I never thought I would be going to Sears to get my glasses. I have bought a tool box, a quarter inch socket drive, and washer and dryer, but never glasses.

So as the story goes in case you have forgot, the frames on my glasses broke and so I have been using a pair of glasses that are about 7 years old. I had to wear these glasses for 2 months since my eye doctor only works Saturdays when she feels like it and I did't want to take a day off work to give her $80 for a piece of paper with my perscription on it. During my eye exam she informs me that my eyes have gotten a little worse since the last exam (about 2 years ago). Then she tells me that they aren't bad enough to get bi-focals yet. I said "EXCUSE ME?" what do you mean bi-focals? Yep, I am informed that eventually I will need bi-focal glasses, but probably not for another 10 years or so, but still "crap". I need to start putting my loose change aside to afford Lasik surgury.

Anyway, back to my glasses. I pick up my glasses and put them on and holy crap!! Everything is magnified to the extreme. I can see pretty clear but I am not sure if the magnification effect is due to the fact that my persciption has gotten worse, if it was due to the fact that I had been wearing a pair of 5 year old glasses, or if they messed up my persciption. I have had a couple of days to live with these glasses and I am adjusting to the new lenses. It reminds me of the very first time I got glasses and didn't realize how bad my vision was until I could see.

The good news is that I have a pair of sunglass lenses that I can attach to these glasses so I don't have to worry about contacts, but the bad news is that I have to treat them like gold since they are $100 to replace. I ended up buying the warranty just to give me a break on the price ($10) in the next year..... bi-focals... crap.

No comments: