Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I need a vacation from my vacation

Well, overall I have to say that Geekfest 2006 was pretty successful I think. I think everyone had a good time and we all left friends. No major conflicts (besides the cheese incident) and only minor meltdowns by kids on some occasions. I am not sure about everyone else, but I did A LOT of walking all starting from parking the car to the room which was at least a mile one way. My days were spent walking around with William as he went everywhere in the waterpark and never stood still. A quick trip down to the lobby of the resort had to be at least half a mile walk. Even after all that walking I got to come back to work on Monday and work on collating Real Estate and Homes which involved 8 hours more of, you guessed it, walking... so I am freaking tired. I figured I better write some stuff down before I forget about the weekend.

Thursday: Morning rush to get kids ready, food packed, and the car loaded. After all was said and done I was attempting to leave around 10:00, so 10:45 was actually doing pretty good. The traffic wasn't too bad and the kids did pretty well on the way over. Andrew was entertained watching William playing with his cars. After we got on the Toll Road, we decided to stop and feed Andrew since he was getting a little fussy. Unfortunately, once we got into Ohio we had to go almost 40 miles to the first travel plaza (I didn't want to get off the toll road). We pulled off and this place was basicly a 1970's throw back (which is probably the last time it was cleaned or updated). There was another plaza another 30 miles down the road, but I don't think Andrew would have made it that far. So we got out and went inside for lunch. According to the sign there was a Nathans, a Uno's, and a Cinnebon at this location... that was false advertising. The offered AN item that those places might have offered. It was just one big room with cold and hot cases where the display for Uno's was just a small personal pizza in a hot case. So we grabbed a pizza and chocolate milk for William and two sandwiches (the kind you would find in a gas station.. just wrapped in plastic) for us .. $17. Yes we had a ton of food in the back of the Jeep, but that would have entailed tearing out half the stuff I just packed up. We ate quickly trying not to touch anything and keep William from crawling on the disgusting floor. I thought we had just done a quick stop, but we ended up being there for almost an hour. Calling Keith when we got back on the road I found out that they were ahead of us a couple of miles and were just getting ready to pull off for something to eat also. I had overhead people talking at the travel plaza that Chicago was getting nailed with a storm, and in talking to Keith, he said that Fort Wayne was getting nailed too so I knew we were just ahead of a storm. Down the road, we saw the other travel plazas in Ohio, and they all looked like they were really nice, and redone. Leave it to us to pick the worst travel plaza in Ohio. We arrived at the Kalahari and checked in. It was a very nice place and better than I expected. The lobby was so cool with a very African theme. We decided to check out the room before unloading the truck. I was a bit worried about the room since photo's can be deceiving and we were putting 14 people into this room, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was big and roomy where we all fit very comfortably. I called Keith again and found out that they stopped at a sit down restaurant and were just leaving Toledo in the rain storm that I had heard about. I quickly ran down and unloaded our car since I knew it was comming, and by the time I got back up to the room it was pouring rain. Unfortunately Keith got stuck in the middle and was able to go about 40 miles an hour so it took him a bit longer to get there. After Keith and his group got there I was pretty much staying out of the way while Lori and Jenny tried to put the kitchen together and then I heard "crash". 10 minutes into vacation and already we broke a bowl, but luckily it wasn't a sign of things to come, it was basically just getting a bad thing out of the way early. We went to the pool and met up with the Quinmores later in the day and spent the rest of the day unpacking and setting up the kitchen with all of the food everyone had brought and visiting.

More later......

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Sounds fun. Perhaps next time I can join you all! Walking miles when you don't normally walk can be ouchy!

So did you turn down offers to walk around the mall shopping then?

davesbeachbar said...

I think you would have had fun with us. Start saving for next year,(I know we are). We never made it to a mall and I know I probably wouldn't have went if it was offered. They other guys did do a Wal-Mart run, but I don't think I would have went anyway.