Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wunderbar

Saturday we packed up the whole family to meet grandma down at germanfest. I was dreading the idea of going down there with the parking nightmare, the crowds, the crappy weather along with other stuff.

The other stuff is the fact that I detest fairs and festivals. When I worked in radio we had to go to all of these events every year. Nowadays radio stations don't "camp out" at most events, they maybe just show up for a couple hours for one day, but back when I worked for WOWO we would spend days at these events. Three Rivers festival was the worst. We would park the Sunshine Studio at Freiman Square for 5 days and spend every waking moment in the RV or walking around giving out balloons. I guess 8 years of doing that burnt me out on fairs and festivals.

But these days I am finding that the older my boys get the more I am willing to deal with the thing that tick me off and go to a handful of these activities. Germanfest was one of these events that I found the least annoying. The family and I met grandma down there and actually had a pretty good time. I forgot how good the food was and it was worth dealing with the crap, (that and grandma was buying). Mom and I split a pitcher of beer that was pretty tasty and cold. My boys still don't really have an idea of the purpose of the event, but William loves to walk around an explore. After we ate and enjoyed some omm pahh pahh music we decided to walk to the wiener dog races at another part of the park. This was the first year for the event to be in the park and it was basically a disaster. Whoever planned this event should be fired. You couldn't see anything, the layout was horrible, and the radio presence was pretty sad, but that just the radio promotions geek in me talking. Upon heading back to our car to leave I decide to go back into the beer tent to go to the bathroom before we leave (you only rent beer). This 80 year old old man almost physically stops me at the entrance and says that it costs me $2 to go into the tent. It was free when we first showed up but turns to paid entrance I guess about the time I left until I came back. I decide that $2 just to pee isn't worth it. Overall I pretty good time, I think I might possibly be willing to try out some more events in the future.

3 comments:

Cerpicio said...

We made it down to Germanfest, too. It was alright; not as bad as I thought it might be. Good food, but expensive. They charge so much for food, but still charge to even enter the tent. Geez, one or the other, folks!

Did you see the Clydesdales?

davesbeachbar said...

nope.. Originally Jen and the boys were going down during the week to see the Clydesdales but got rained out. I didn't think the food prices were that bad. Really they have stayed the same for quite a few years now.

Marcus said...

Might I suggest for fairs: Van Wert Fair, in Van Wert, Ohio (fall). 3 Rivers can be pricy also ... yikes! Eat before you go!

It's a shame that you couldn't use tickets to enter the tent. I hated paying $5 to enter!