Monday, April 30, 2007

RIP Bobby "Boris" Pickett

I had one of those moments last week when I heard that Bobby Pickett had passed away. This 45 (on the parrot label) was one of the first records that I owned as a kid. I played the heck out of the record on my old "Wildcat" Portable (yeah right) record player that was the size of a suitcase. I hear the "Monster Mash" almost every halloween, but forgot there was a man behind it. Hearing it was a time transport back to younger days and was just a fun song. Hearing of his passing takes a little bit of my childhood with it, like hearing about the passing of an old TV actor or Singer that you remember from when you were a kid. I enjoy trying to find out what some of those older actors/singers are up to these days and usually you find out they are still performing (or in rehab... for hip replacement and not drugs). It kind of gives you security in your own mortality knowing that the people that you grew up listening too and watching are still alive. But at least we will have those records and reruns to keep their memories alive.

No comments: