Thursday, April 19, 2007

Yeah, that was a good idea

When we first bought our house, the first thing that I noticed was the big tree in the front yard. It was too big and too close to the house. During heavy wind it would scrape against the house. The plan was to cut this tree down as soon as we could, and of course it took a year. Saturday my father-in-law called up and asked if I wanted to cut the tree down since he is the one that owns a good chainsaw. We wanted to get the tree down before it got leaves on it to make it easier to deal with. I wasn't sure if we could since the forecast was for rain and snow, but I figured we would give it a shot. We have taken down a few trees together so the actual removal of the tree went pretty smooth. We dropped all of the tree almost exactly where we wanted the piece to fall. Tom cut the limbs of the tree and I piled them on the driveway.
After taking the tree down it was amazing how open the front of the house now looks, but then I noticed all of the stuff that the tree hid. The house needs to be power washed. The trim needs to be repainted. All of the landscaping needs to be done. Bushes need to be ripped out. New plants have to be bought. Mulch must be put down asafp. And a big honkin' stump (honkin' is a technical term) needs to be removed. So the focus is going to change on our house from pulling flagstone in the backyard to front yard rescue. Yeah I know I am just trying to keep up with the smiths next door, but I think it will look nice in the long run.
After revelling in the horror of all the work I had just uncovered by taking down the tree, we made two trips to my in-law house with the wood and brush from the tree. Just as we had unloaded the last of the wood it started to snow. Man we planned that just right.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Timber!

Yes, we've all been there when you finish a project you find the project hydre -- make take it's place or are discovered, in your case.

That's tough luck, dude!