Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Snakes and Arrows

The New RUSH album is out !!!!


I thought that I would write a little record (cd) review of the new RUSH album "Snakes and Arrows". I have had a week to listen to it over and over, and overall I would have to say it's the best that I have heard from the boys in quite a number of years. I would actually rank it up there with one of my best from them. In reading some of the background from the making of "Snakes and Arrows" they recall working with a new producer and it truly shows. This album has a different flavor than previous albums and some very tasty "licks" and "rifs". The producer has worked with some other current artists including the "foo fighters" which is probably why there is a newer and fresher feeling to the new album. I think he brought back to front the musicians in the group rather than the total focus on the written word. Not that Neil's lyrics aren't still classic and thought provoking, it's just good to hear them play, which is shown by three instrumentals on the album which totally rock hard. One of the things that bothered me in the past couple of albums was that they would begin a song with a wicked drum beat or lead guitar and bring it to a screeching halt so Geddy could sing. It's just great to hear them Jam from the beginning of the song to the end. I would recommend this album to non-RUSH fans as well and to anyone who enjoys a thumping drum and screaming guitar.



Another thing about the album. I don't really like the cover art that was chosen. I know there is a story of the art corresponding with the "Snakes and Arrows" theme, but I was unimpressed. Over the years the album covers for RUSH have been really cool and rich. Upon opening the album and reading the lyrics the background pictures were fantastic. Even on their website www.rush.com the different pages on their site have these pictures as their backgrounds. I learned that they were photographed/illustrated/animated by a guy named Hugh Syme. I would love to have some of his work framed in my house, but it's one of those things that if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it. I think I will just enjoy his work as my computer background.

No comments: