Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Weekend update

This weekend was very busy in our household. Along with being fantastic weather we had a bunch of projects to work on. Jen's main goal of the weekend was to work on our garage sale with her mom. We spent most of Thursday night dragging things out of the basement and attic to arrange for the sale on Friday and Saturday. The garage sale went very well with Jen and her mom selling some big ticket items (garage sale price-wise) and a bunch of the quarter/dime stuff. You would think after two of these things we would have gotten rid of most of the crap that we had, but after repacking all of our junk we only had one less box then I brought down from the attic. Pretty soon I am just going to haul all of it over to goodwill or the Seminary since it's a pain getting into the attic. Maybe we will take some of the profit from this weekend and invest in attic stairs. One of the highlight sales of the weekend was about $40 in flagstone rock. I finally put out a sign advertising the flagstone and have been selling a few pieces at a time. A few people are interested in buying the whole or half the pile, but so far no takers on the whole thing. One guy keeps calling and telling me that it's too expensive, and I tell him you don't have to buy it. I was kinda surprised that no one bought the whole thing this weekend, but maybe next weekend.
My main activity of the weekend was helping with WalkAmerica for the March of Dimes. I have been on the planning committee for this walk for 11 years now and it feels good to be involved in something that helps babies. The walk went pretty good. Started the day at Headwaters Park at 6:00am but was done and home by 2:30pm, which is fast even for us. My mom's Kiwanis' club sponsored a checkpoint so I went out to visit and thank them for coming out and noticed a few thing while standing there with my mom. How sad is it so see people smoking while walking for healthier babies? You can't wait the 5 miles to start smoking again? Overall I think everyone had a pretty good time. After the walk, the walkers come back to the park and have a little lunch before leaving. This is usually when I start seeing people who were clearly not part of the walk and are just people who hang out downtown and see the opportunity for a free lunch. You want to say something, but hell it's only a hot dog and chips, so we usually just look the other way and we had a ton of food left over. One guy that we gave lunch to actually helped us load some of the water into the truck so I thought that was nice. We actually ended up making a trip down the the rescue mission with the leftovers. The sad part was the whole family who showed up as we were closing up wanting free lunch. I couldn't be that person I don't think. After we cleaned up the park I headed home to help Jen with garage sale stuff.
Sunday we had a lazy start to the day and ended up going outside to work on the front of the house. We worked on one of the front planters where I edged the planter and we moved a few of the misfit plant in the yard to this island (so to speak). Later a trip to Lowes for more stuff and then to mom's for a visit.

No comments: