Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I have humidity

One of the projects for this winter was to get our Aprilaire humidifier working. The first winter we moved in was November two years ago, but we were too busy dealing with moving in and painting and boxes and babies so I didn't bother. Last year was a mild winter so we barely noticed it being dry in the house and used a vaporizer in the bedroom to up the humidity. This year I decided to finally get the thing working. Yeah I know it's already February, but I have been busy with other stuff, including baby stuff again. So a couple of months ago I replaced the water panel which is a yearly maintenance thing that I am sure hadn't been done in 10 years with the previous owners. I replaced the water panel and decided to give it a try. I turned on the thermostat and didn't get any water flow at all. I decided to trace the water line back to the source. Hooked to the hot water pipe of the water heater was the saddle valve that controlled the water. Of course they placed it almost to the top of the ceiling, above the water heater, among the other furnace pipes and crap. But with the help of a ladder I was barely able to get to it. Of course it was stuck. I oiled the crap out of it and still could get it barely to turn. So I resorted to the wrench. The last thing I wanted to do was over "wrench" the saddle valve and have it break. I opened the water all the way and still no water flow. The next culprit to look at was the solenoid connected to the thermostat. (The thermostat tells the solenoid to let water flow to the unit. ) I tore that apart and found tons of water pressure before the solenoid, but nothing after. So I have to replace the solenoid (I think). I call around to authorized dealers of Aprilaire to look for the part and to see if they can test the solenoid to see if it's working. Doc dancer will bench test the solenoid, but charge $95 for the part. Yikes. Korte (where I got the water panel) has the part for $79, but can't test it, but will send out a guy for $70. Crap. I find the part on-line for $45. Now comes the leap of faith. Spend the money without the test and hope the problem is the solenoid and hope it's the correct part? I finally decided to give it a shot. I order the part and get it a couple days later. This starts another comedy of errors. As I am connecting the wires with the wire nut, I twist it too tight and break off the end of both wires. As I am stripping the wires to try it again I slice my thumb open (need to get a wire stripper). As I am turning the water back on I cut my arm on the copper wire ground for the water heater. As I am turning the water back on (with a wrench) the end of the saddle valve snaps off (thank God it didn't start shooting water). And lastly, after turning the water back on, the saddle valve starts to leak (luckily I fixed that problem just tightening the saddle valve nut). Maybe the $70 would have been a good idea..... Anyway after getting everything hooked back up and on I am getting good water flow through the unit and my little indoor/outdoor thermometer in the house shows the humidity around 32% which is good for winter. Someday I will have to fix that saddle valve and I might move it down to be able to get to it a little easier. The ironic part is that we had to get a DE-humidifier for the basement because it was too humid.

No comments: