Friday, February 01, 2008

Lightning McQueen

Clearly the boys favorite Disney character is Lighning McQueen. They might not watch the DVD that much anymore, but give them anything with a "cars" character on it and it's their new favorite toy. Of course being boys they love cars in general. I have learned to shuffle my feet around the living room since it usually entails stepping on a car or two if I am not paying attention. We need to start enforcing the Q's plan of cleaning up toys before going to bed every night. Anyway with the new baby coming we decided to move all the kids to different bedrooms. I am not real sure why, but I am sure there was a good idea for it. I believe Jen's thinking is that the older the boy the bigger the bedroom. Of course I feel sorry for poor Christopher since he will get stuck with the smallest of the bedrooms, but he also gets the room in the back of the house so he doesn't have to worry about hearing cars drive by all night and the thumping stereos as much. Maybe I will find something to make that bedroom a little more special for when he gets older. So the big plan was to clear out the 4th bedroom and make it William's new bedroom (so much for storing anything in there anymore). Finally we got everything organized enough to allow me to get to the walls to start painting. Jen had found this neat little plan-o-gram for a lightning mcqueen room at home depot a few months back. It included a two color paint job with borders and all kinds of stuff. We had been talking about a lightning mcqueen room for a while now so Jen went out and bought bedding and other stuff for the themed room. I decided to get a little creative and decide on a two toned room with a border in the middle. Hopefully he will get a little more enjoyment out of this room than from the "finding Nemo" room that he was in. I don't think he ever got that his room was finding nemo themed at all since he really didn't get into that movie. We were trying to get him moved in before or soon after the baby is born, so I head over to home depot to buy the paint. The guy at home depot strongly recommends a tinted primer for the red part of the wall. "if not you will be putting multiple coats on the wall" he says to me, and all I can think of is the Q's and their 8+ layers of paint on Keith's room. Then the big question, "what kind of paint do you want?". Uh crap I hadn't thought of that. I heard the term semi-gloss and it sounded familiar so I told him two gallons of that. The blue color is offically called "Cinderalla's Gown" but I call it "radiator springs blue" to sound more manly. I get to work on the first coat of primer and it is really pink. Now I knew it was going to be pink, but it was strange to see that color on the wall. At this point I find out from Jen that my semi-gloss decision was a major faux paus and that I should have bought Satin. They won't take it back since it was a special mix so I have to buy another two gallons of paint. Lucky for me the primer didn't matter. The guy at home depot gives me advice on paiting the room, which is basicly the lazy man's way. Hey I am simpatico with "lazy". Basicly it's giving the paint at least 24 to 48 hours between coats to allow it to fully dry. At this point we aren't really sure how William will like being moved into another bedroom so I start building up the excitement telling him how cool the "Lightning McQueen" room will be. He gets real excited about it. For the next week, after eating dinner, he would tell me to get to work on the room. Yes sir, right away sir. I work on the room for about a week alternating colors so I can allow the paint to fully dry. The red goes on really well, but still requires 3 coats. I could have gotten away with 2, but I think the 3rd really made it look nice. The blue goes on well and only requires 2 coats, but I must have been real tired when I worked on it since I ended up accidentally hitting the ceiling 3 or 4 times which I usually don' t do. I figure I will touch that up when I fix the kids bathroom ceiling or get to work on our bathroom ceiling. Next was the border. I thought the stuff that I bought was peel and stick, but it wasn't it was prepasted. Crap. I have never hung wallpaper or border so I have no idea how to do it, and don' t really feel brave enough to attempt it until I am sure the paint in totally dry. Then a little thing called "having a baby" got in the way of this project. After getting Jen and the baby home I decided to finish the job. I start on a small wall first with a bucket of hot water. It goes on well, but not as good as I thought. I can adjust the border quite a bit while it is on the wall, but the perfectionist in me kept tweeking it and I could see me tweeking too much. I finally ended up putting the bigger pieces of border in the bathtub to get wet. Lucky (or unlucky) for me the majority of the room was long runs which entailed only one long big piece at time. Man what a pain in the butt. Finally I get all of the border on, but it's not laying flat to the wall. Crap. I am using the sponge like the instructions say, but it's not doing the job. So, I decide to ad lib and grab my 5 inch putty knife and start to use it like a squeegee. It does a fantastic job in getting the paper to lay down on the wall,but it also presses out all the excess glue out and down the wall. Son of a B****. At this point it's late, the kids are fussing since it's way past their bedtime, and I am trying to help Jen out with the baby. So I get the border put on, most of the excess glue wiped of the wall and put kids to bed. I go back into the room and start to fiddle with the border some more, (it wasn't totally level) but finally yelled at myself to just walk out of the room. I come back into the room the next day and it actually looked real good. Most of the places where the border didn't quite lay down actually laid down by itself. Finally got furniture rearranged and a bed put in there. We are going to buy a new bed for him but he is using a trundle bed right now. The other night when we are putting him to bed we ask, "do you want to sleep in lightning mcqueen room tonight?". You would have thought we were sending him to Disneyworld itself or just gave him Christmas again. He ran into the room and right into his bed. I still have to sit in the room with him until he falls asleep, and he still comes into our room in the middle of the night, but it's fun to see the joy in his eyes with his new room. Next plan is to move Andrew into his new (old) room and make that one a lightning mcqueen room also. No painting!! I figure the blue color in the nemo room is close enough to mcqueen room. I am just going to hang some stuff on the walls. Next I think I might do a little work on the basement to see what kind of trouble I can get into down there.

No comments: