Friday, July 25, 2008

The experiment is almost over

A year ago I was going over the need for a cell phone. I knew with the baby on the way in January and just general need to stay in contact that I needed to get one. Cost was a major factor. Even on the "cheap" plans by the time you throw in all of the fees and bullsh*t charges it worked out to be over $40 a month (at least). I have own various other cell phones in my life, and I have am not a high minute user, so the promise of "unlimited weekend minutes" or any other "special offers" wasn't a big draw for me. I looked at the "pay as you go" phones but those plans were still B.S. with the fees and access charges. Then I looked into the prepaid phones. I had looked into them before, but to get minutes you had to buy cards, and they expired after 60 days, and it just seemed like a pain. But then I came across a phone that was good for a year and came with 1000 minutes. Would I use 1000 minutes in a year? I didn't know. Especially since we don't have long distance at the house (again a budget issue) we would use the cell for that as well. So I plopped down $150 for the phone and 1000 minute year card. You can't find any cell phone offer for around $12.50 (total) a month including voicemail/caller ID/ and other features.

Well, my minutes are set to expire on August 10th and I still have 117 minutes to use up. I figure that our trip to Rochester will burn up those minutes (or one conversation between Jen and Carrie). I think overall this phone is a good fit for me. I am going to get another "year" card and try it again for this year. It would be nice to get one for Jen too. If no other reason than being able to talk to Carrie a little more often. My mom has also expressed interest in getting one of these phones as well. I should see if they have a referral program. The only minor complaint that I have about the phone is the battery. I make sure that I run the phone down to nothing before I recharge it, but it doesn't seem to hold a very good charge if you are using it. Maybe I will splurge for a new one.

No comments: