Monday, July 21, 2008

It was a little hot

We had a very busy weekend. Friday morning I helped my cousin Marc move. I volunteered the use of a work truck to help with the move which entailed me getting up at 6:30am to drive out to work to drive back north to get to his house by 8:00am. We had to get an early start on the move since I had a distant family reunion to get to by noon. I was a little worried when I was the only one there, but very quickly there was alot of hands to help load. My goal was just to get the big stuff loaded and over to the new house so I could get to my other event. They actually left some of the furniture in the house since they are still trying to sell it so that made the load a little less, but we still managed to load the entire 26 foot truck up. I was also hoping by getting an early start that we could possibly avoid some of the heat of the day, but that didn't work as my shirt was quickly drenched by the many trips up and down the narrow stairway. I drove the truck over to the new house and the many hands followed to make the unload go just as well. Marc has a very nice house that doesn't look like it need too much work and a nicely finished basement. (It makes me want to get going on my basement again) Marc had originally planned on moving that day since it would have been about a month before the baby was due,but leave it to the little whipper snapper to show up early. Peter was born last friday and had to spend the last week in the NICU unit at dupont to make sure that his lungs were properly developed, but he was cleared to go home Sunday (the day after the move). I feel sorry for Marc and Julie with having to move and having a child in the same week since Jen and I have done the same thing (or similiar) situation with our children. So not only do they get to deal with trying to arrange a new household, but also have to deal with a new child (first time parents). I am sure they will do fine, they have a great family around them. Anyway, after we unload them I run back to the office and drop off the truck. Luckily I had planned ahead and knew I would probably be sweaty so I brought a change of clothes and clean up a little before heading out. Lucky for me Foster park isn't too far from the office so I didn't have far to run.

Let's see if I can explain whay I called it a distant family reunion earlier. These people are my grandmothers side of the family, so also my mom's cousins. We used to get together every year. There was usually a party on Friday night at the lake cottage, golf on saturday morning with more partying saturday after noon, and then a family cookout at the lake place. I am not real sure why these get togethers ended. I think it was just because trying to get everyone together at a same date was a pain with all of the other family stuff that comes along. I was pretty much a kid the last time we were all together, ok maybe late teens, so it had been probably 20 years or so since I had seen everyone. By the time I got there everyone was already there. I remember or know a few of these people and was in the process of trying to talk to some of them. The huge playground at Foster park was right next to the pavilion so my boys were all over that. I spent the rest of the after noon in the playground area trying to keep an eye on the boys so I didn't get a chance to visit that much. Both of the boys are on a kick where they love wearing their lightning McQueen baseball caps so they were soaking in sweat playing in their hats in the upper 80 degree weather. After a couple of hours of that we decided to take off for home. I took the boys while Jen headed for a sale at the mall. I put christopher and Andrew (and myself) down for a nap when we got home. Saturday night was bathtime for the boys (again) and then to bed. I didn't get to bed until 1:00am, then the f*****g cat slams our bedroom door at 4:00am, and then a thunderstorm goes through at 5:30am, leaving us with a bed full of children for an hour. After that the boys played downstairs for the most part letting us try and catch a few more winks of sleep, but they kept calling me downstairs for juice, or cereal, or more juice, or .... you get the idea. So we got up and got ready for church. After church Dan and I decided to play golf. We met up at Arlington Park for a quick 9 holes. We originally talked about playing at cherry hill, but the day I had on saturday I wasn't sure that I wanted to do a full 18 holes. The weather wasn't that bad with the occasional breeze that made it bearable outside. There was no one playing ahead of us, but a bunch of people playing behind us. It's not that we were playing that slow, we were keeping a good pace, but I prefer to play a little slower than that. Dan claimed to not having touched a club in a few years, but he came out of the clubhouse playing like tiger freaking woods. He was putting together par after par after par and ended up smoking me by 4 strokes. I can tell you that almost never happens when we play together. We had a good time and some good conversations about life in general. After we were done playing I headed home. We had asked mom to watch the kids Sunday night so Jen and I could go out for our anniversary. Yep 7 years ago she took pitty on me a married my sorry butt. J/K. We headed over to Granite City to have dinner. Jen had never been there, and my only experience wasn't that great, but I had high hopes. Overall the food was very good, but whooooo it was pricey ($16 for ravioli is nuts). I think we will stick to Triangle Park for our special dinners. Another early start on Monday as the garbage truck comes at 5:30am and wakes both of the boys up. Busy weekend, but I didn't get anything done around the house.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

With the crap and B.S., it seems that not only was the temperature hot, but perhaps your temper -- warranted.