Friday, July 11, 2008

TV trouble

A few months back I reported about our big screen TV having a problem. It wouldn't turn on and just kept "chirping". Well we found out the simple solution was to unplug the TV wait for a while and then plug it back in so it can reset itself. (a repair suggested by the techs at Philips). The tech guy at philips knows exactly what the problem is and it a pretty simple part. I just don't know if I can fix it myself or not. Over the past couple of months we have had to do this a couple of times when it stopped working. Well I get home yesterday and mom tells me that the TV isn't working. I unplug it and go about the task of feeding the boys and the other stuff I do when I get home. After about 10 minutes I plug it in and it still "chirps". Crap. So I unplug it again and do other stuff and listen to the radio. After two hours I plug it back in and "Chirp, chirp,chirp". I am thinking that the TV might have finally bought the farm. I surfed the net looking for new TV's and more importantly a company with special deals on financing. The only one that I found on-line was circuit city with no payment and no interest for a certain amount of time. While I was at Sears buying parts for the gill (yet something else I am trying to get a few more years out of) I see a 42 inch plasma for $855 on sale so I was using that as my baseline. Overall I found most of the places that I looked had 42" for around $800ish. With the deal at circuit city it would be about $25 a month for three years, interest free. Of course I find a 50" projection for $999 which works out to $55 a month for 18 month interest free. I guess I really don't need to go as big as 42", but I have a feeling that anything less in the front room would look real tiny. We will find out when I bring the TV from the front room into the main room for the weekend. I think that's around 28". I am going to make every effort to fix the old TV (as long as it is cost effective) because I have no idea how I would get rid of a TV that big. I am thinking that it will require a trip to the dump. Who knows, maybe this is another one of those things I can put on the curb and the junk guys will come and pick it up.

No comments: