Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fun weekend

This weekend Jen didn't have to work at all so we decided to have some fun with the boys. Saturday we got the crew together and decided to go to the zoo, but on the way we decided to go to the Solomon Farm for a festival thing. The Solomon farm is an old farm on Dupont road. I believe that until recently it was a private farm, but I have heard this year they are open every Wednesday for a farmers market kind of thing. We decided to be adventurous and try it out. Overall it wasn't too bad of a thing. Pretty small event but there was a ton of people around. Mostly it was looking at old tractors and farm stuff with hayrides or should I say strawrides. There was a huge line for two food vendors. We spent the majority of the time at the petting tent. The boys got a chance to pet all of the animals that they read about and really seemed to enjoy that. After hanging out there for about an hour we headed for the zoo. St. Francis college was having an event so there was a huge crowd there. We basically hit the high points of the zoo. This is where I find out that William has developed a fear of public toilets. I guess he was scared by an automatic flush toilet last week and now he is paranoid. I knew he had to pee, but I couldn't get him to go a couple of times that I tried. (I finally had to force him on a toilet at the mall, hopefully that's the end of it) I took William to ride the horses and then both boys on the merry-g0-round. We were all able to ride the train also. For the boys it was there first time on the train, and for Jen and me it was the first time in ALOT of years. I remember the train being alot roomier back then, and I also remember it being a longer ride where you could actually see some of the animals. Now it's just a quick trip to the pond and back. It was cool, but nothing like I remembered. After the zoo and a quick trip to the mall we decided to go home and get dinner. As soon as we hit the door at home the boys wanted food, so much for planning something. So we put together a quick dinner of hotdogs and chips for the boys and Jen and I wondered what to do for dinner ourselves, which anymore is quite the ordeal. Run to the store and pick up something to eat? Eat fast food? Order something?...finally I had an idea. How about getting grandma to watch the kids while we go on a date? I could see immediately that Jen liked that idea. So a quick call to grandma Diane and we headed out the door only to meet the next decision... where to go? In our earlier discussions the name Texas Roadhouse came up a few times and I liked that since we hadn't been there in a while. We pull up to the restaurant to see people sitting outside which is nothing new for a Saturday night at 6:30pm in this town. We get inside and see a 60 -70 minute wait. Crap. But the hostess offers, "if you can find a seat at the bar you can get served right away" so we decide to give that a try, and sure enough there were a couple of seats at the bar I know it's not that romantic to sit at a bar and watch Notre Dame get creamed on a date, but neither is waiting an hour for a table when you are hungry. So we both had a nice meal and it wasn't too bad sitting there. After paying out bill and talking about what to do next they announce our names at the hostess table that our table is now ready. Oops forgot to take our name off the waiting list. We ended up the date at Menards looking at shelving for the basement.
Sunday we got up and headed to church. Church ends up usually being a feeding frenzy for both boys with us bringing cereal and water, but hey it keeps them contented for the most part. After church we went to Grandma and Grandpa's for lunch. After we had lunch, Jen and I headed out with Tom's truck while the grandparents watched the boys. We went home and looked at the furnace room and then headed over to Menards to buy shelving for the basement. We decided to buy this wood shelving system that is going to require a little more work on my end as well as my father in law cutting some plywood for me. After that home and bathtime for the boys. Overall a pretty fun weekend with only one hiccup of William waking up Sunday morning and not going back to sleep for a couple of hours. I tell you it's dangerous when Jen doesn't work on the weekend since we usually end up spending money, but at least it was fun.

No comments: