Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Maybe it't time to hang out with the Protestants

Man it's been tough lately for my Catholic "Friends". I had to put the "friends" in quotes since they are people that I know pretty well, but wouldn't be in the core friends that I email every once in a while and try and get together with.


The first friend is Matt Kelty. Yeah he is the guy in the firestorm of the mayor's race. I met Matt at a "Christ Renews is Parish" retreat weekend at St. Judes. First he was with me as a member of the team and then when we hosted the weekend for other guys, so we hung out for about a year on and off. Matt is a great guy that knows his stuff and is very personable. For those of you who attended my wedding he did one of the reading during the mass. Not being a member of St. Jude's Church I had unfortunately fallen out of contact with Matt and all of the other guys in my group. I contacted him when I found out he was running for mayor and got a very nice response to my e-mail. The only thing that I worried about was that nice of a guy entering the world of politics, and I was pretty much right. He is getting grilled in the media pretty good right now, and I can't say for sure whether I believe it or not, but I think he did make a mistake with the campaign contributions and I think it's going to bite him in the butt in November, which is a shame since I think Matt would be a pretty good mayor even with his lack of experience. I still think he might have a chance at getting elected, but this is going to hang over him even if he does.

The second one gives me the heebie geebies. I have played volleyball for about 7 years now on Sunday night at St. Judes. (St. Judes again, maybe there is something in the holy water). I became good friends with most of the die hard group that played every week. There was about 6 of us that would get together outside of volleyball and play cards or have parties. Once again I fell out of contact with these people and stopped playing volleyball a couple years ago due to too much kids stuff to deal with on Sunday nights, and just being a lazy butt. One of the group was a girl named Michelle. She was a little strange, but a very nice person. She was a teacher and dealt alot with special needs kids, which you know takes a special kind of person. I thought I heard her name mentioned on the radio a few weeks ago, but figured that I heard wrong or someone else with the same name. I soon found out the story about what I heard. She took care of a special needs boy and was good friends with the family. I found out that she had molested the 15 year old brother of the special needs boy, and became pregnant with the 15 year olds' baby. WTF? This is the kind of thing you would read about in the paper happening in Kentucky or something. She had the baby a couple of months ago and the parent of the 15 year old found out. I haven't heard lately about charges against her or going to jail, but it's still haunting that I knew this person pretty well and that she would do something like that. I would be curious to reach out to her to make sure that she is alright, but this is one that it's probably better just to stay out of it and just pray for her and her baby. But how do you put your mind around something like that? Later I recalled that she went to the prom with the special needs boy which I thought was due to the fact that he was special needs and probably couldn't get a date, but now it makes me wonder.

No comments: