Thursday, September 06, 2007

Mosquito (Labor) Day weekend

Overall a good mixture of Labor and relaxation for this 3 day weekend.

Saturday: After a stellar 3 hours of sleep (see previous story) I woke up Saturday wide awake, yeah right. Jen had to work so I pretty much just hung out with the boys and played and watched TV. After putting Andrew down for his nap I decided to make some Cookies and brownies for the Clymer family fish fry on Sunday. I attempted Carrie's cookie recipe for a second time with the proper ingredients and proportions and they turned out much better. Of the three dozen cookies I took up Sunday, none of them made it back. And once again everyone was surprised that I baked them. Yes I have some skills. The Brownies were from a recipe that I found on-line that looked very simple to assemble. The recipe was from a store called Jungle Jim's in Cleveland (yes Carrie I know you have been there) that looks very interesting and I might have to go visit if I ever get down that way or if I can talk them into selling Kalik. I was real careful with the brownie recipe and tried to follow it to the letter. It looked good going into the pan, and it said on the recipe in very bold letters DO NOT OVER BAKE. So with a cook time of 25-30 minutes, I of course throw it in for 30. I was used to putting the cookies in for longer than the suggested time. Well I pull it out after 30 minutes and there is a 6 inch bulge in the middle of the brownies. It looked like something you would see on the Beverly Hillbillies. After cooling down the bulge went down a little bit and I cut the brownies up and they tasted like crap. Yep I overcooked them, but hey at least I have the cookies for tomorrow. This was also the start of the mosquito onslaught of the weekend. William left the door to the garage open a minute and let in a ton of mosquito's. This was only the start of many run in's with mosquitoes all weekend.

Sunday we got the crew together and headed up for the Clymer family fish fry at the in-laws camper. We tried to leave early, but ended up waiting for Jen's friend Tracy and her boys to follow us up. We finally got up there around noon and spent the day visiting and eating. My father in law and his brother take their positions in the back of the camp area and start up there skillets and spend the next hour or so cooking all the fish they spent the past year catching. Usually there is a group to batter and season the fish so all Tom and Ken have to do is cook them. They try alot of different spices and flavorings on the fish which make for a delicious choices in the fish. Again there was a ton of food and it was all very good. I took William and Tracy's boys fishing off the dock for a little bit and every one of them ended up catching one very small fish apiece after drowning alot of worms. Nothing like hooks flying past your head as 3 kids try to cast their lines on the same dock at different times. After feeding the fish we all went down swimming. We ended up swimming for a couple of hours. I was staying close to William since he is usually afraid of the water, but for some reason wasn't Sunday. Andrew of course is the daredevil and went straight for the 10 foot slide in the water. We got back to the camper and started the feast. No, not us eating, but BEING eaten by mosquitoes. We grabbed a quick bite (so to speak) and loaded the boys up and took off for home.
Monday Jen had to work again and mom was having a party at her house in the afternoon to celebrate Dan being home for good. I dropped the boys off at Grandma's early in the afternoon to get some stuff done around the house. It's so much easier to get grass cut and the family room steam cleaned without help. I headed back to mom's around 4:00 and spent the rest of the day visiting with mom and chasing down kids. Around 5:00 Dan,Rhonda,Alta, and Lynn show up and the pandelerium starts :)... Mom is trying to put together the food, Alta is trying to help her, Dan is trying to put together Pina Coladas (home-made) all at the same time in the kitchen, it was kinda crazy. I just stayed out of the way sipping my beer (Sam Adams.. very tasty). Oh and also in the middle of the pandelium in the Kitchen the handle on the microwave mysteriously broke so Uncle Dave was trying to fix it at the same time :). The food was very good and we had a good time visiting with everyone. All of the activity had to stay inside due to the mosquitoes outside. Andrew went outside for a few minutes and was covered with bites. Around 8:00 they boys were getting real cranky so I headed for home to get them a bath and then in bed.
So overall it was a pretty good mixture of getting some stuff done but having some time to relax a little bit. Of course the fact that I am finally getting to write about this on Friday tells you the kind of week that I came back to at work, but hey at least it's a short week.

No comments: