Monday, September 10, 2007

The Legend.....

I can say that it was my extreme pleasure that I knew and worked with a Legend, Bob Sievers. Bob passed away last monday at 90 years old. In my 7 years of working at WOWO I didn't get the chance to work with Bob every day, but I did have quite a few times of working with him when he would visit the station or attend an event. One such event is when WOWO was doing a remote at an airshow at Bear Field. Bob loved planes so he was attending the show and stopped by the Sunshine Studio to say hello. Bob was asked to be the DJ while (the late) Gary Noe took a cordless microphone up in a plane. At the time I was only the guy who drove the Sunshine Studio and worked the buttons so I was never on the air, but while I was telling Bob what was going on he put a mic in front of me and he and I ended up doing a play by play withBob with Gary up in the plane. So I can say I was on-air with Bob. I had other opportunities to visit with Bob and talk to him when he attended numerous Penny Pitch events. Every time Bob talked, everyone around would listen to every word because it was usually something very interesting. When the studios were still downtown (203 W. Wayne) I always knew that Bob had been to visit Chris Underwood overnights or Chris Roberts early in the morning because there would be a small paper bag with one Power's hamburger in it on the break room table. Of course by the time we got to the office the bag was almost translucent due to the amount of grease in one of those burgers.
I was greatly saddened by the loss of Bob. I had a chance to meet up with him and Ron Gregory in the past year for lunch a few times but could never work out the time off which I now regret. I attended the late viewing for Bob and was able to visit with some other former WOWO employees and we had a very good time telling our stories about Bob. I probably will never go back into radio ever again, but it's nice knowing that I had a chance to work with a Legend and at a time when radio was about fun and family and not the money grubbing machine it is now. I hope that the local PBS station continues to run the radio specials with Bob and the other legends every once in a while, since it definitely puts a smile on my face.

RIP MR. WOWO



No comments: