Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Field Trip

Yesterday William's class went on a field trip to a pumpkin farm. It was his first field trip in school as well as his first bus ride. Lately he has been a little touchy about loud noises so I was concerned that the bus ride would be something that would upset him. Jen had to work so I took half a day off and went with him on the field trip (parents were welcome to come along). It was a nice little field trip. We loaded on the school bus without any trouble and got into a seat, (with seat belts nonetheless!!). We drove out to the Kurtz farm which is a little family farm along hwy. 37 going toward Harlan. This is the same place that we have been going for years to buy our pumpkins. They have this neat thing where the pumpkins are separated by size and price. It is totally on the honor system with a money drop box by the barn where you put your money, so you can go whenever you want, even though the prices are getting a little salty. After getting to the farm we got some instructions from Mrs. Kurtz and went into a barn for "Pumpkin School" where she described how pumpkins grow at a pre-school level. Of course being pre-school she was interrupted numerous times from the kids with real silly questions, but the got through the very interesting presentation. After Pumpkin School with numerous interruptions including the tractors, we loaded up into the back of a trailer for a (straw) hay ride out to the pumpkin patch so the kids could pick their own pumpkin. Nothing like asking a bunch of pre-schoolers to choose from hundreds of pumpkins. After that we loaded back on the buses for the ride back to school. Overall William did great on the trip and didn't have any problems at all. I think there was times when he totally forgot I was there with other classmates around and things to see so no problems if he does another field trip.

Man I haven't been on a school bus in at least 25 years. What a total "end-of-Ferris-Bueller-with credits-rolling-esque" moment that was. Numerous times I felt like I was Ed Rooney. Not much has changed on the school bus in all of that time, but the video camera was a bit foreboding pointing at me.

A side note to this post. I had about 40 minutes to kill between the time we got back to school and when I had to pick up William so I decided to run over to Keith's business and pick something up. After a few wrong turns I finally got there to a jammed pack parking lot. I parked in a sales rep slot, (screw it he should be out selling anyway) and went inside. I told the lady at front that I wanted to see Keith, and she told me ALOT of people would like to see Keith. She informs me that he is out to lunch..dang. I was heading out and I see him in the parking lot. I can see why he doesn't have time to blog or get together anymore. As I was following him around the office he was introducing me to people, putting out numerous fires, taking care of sales weasels, watching the packing, catching crap from his boss, and a ton of other stuff in the 10 minutes I was there. I can only imagine dealing with that ALL DAY long. There is a man in need of a serious "guys night" out or he will surely explode...

3 comments:

MR said...

my life used to be like that, then we hired a workaholic. WooHoo! Everyone should have one.

MR said...

Oh, and you don't want to compare yourself to Ed Rooney:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1027041jones1.html

Marcus said...

I remember going there with classes ... neat place, long ride from most schools.