Friday, May 23, 2008

Spicy

One of the perks that we have here at work is a popcorn maker. It's one of those big ones like you would see at a movie theater. Actually it was at my former place of business, but I called up the new manager when I got here and he offered to sell it to me. For some reason since I am the one who arranged the purchase of the popcorn maker, it also makes me the popcorn maker. So a couple times a week I will head back to the break room and make a batch if it's out or if it's a couple days old (people here have a real issue with two day old popcorn). The ironic part is that I don't eat the popcorn due to my stomach issues. Anyway over the years I have always said that it might be cool to get some flavored seasonings for the popcorn, but since I am not the one purchasing the popcorn and supplies I just forgot it. I noticed that we were almost out of the popcorn seasoning the other day and decided to search for popcorn seasonings. I found a couple of places on-line, but didn't think it was that good of a deal and didn't want to pay for shipping and handling. I found one company that sold the seasonings at Walmart so I stopped by and bought a couple little (2.5 oz) canisters of seasoning. After doing that I remembered that there used to be a place off main street that sold seasonings. I stopped by the place, but it was closed up, but after looking on the net I saw that they were at a new location. Yesterday I decided to stop by the place and see what they had. According to mapquest it was just South of Lake on Coliseum blvd. I drove by and nothing. I drove by again and nothing. After giving up I was in the turn lane and noticed that the little shop that was part of a gas station had it's doors open and I could see plastic containers through the window. Sure enough this was the place. No signage at all and part of a gas station, but the place was amazing. I love cooking shows on TV but they usually use a spice in the recipe that I have never heard of. This would be the place to go to find that spice. They had all kinds of spices, rubs, oils and bbq sauce (the words "ass destroyer" were on alot of them). The place is pretty big, but poorly organized with no labels on boxes or prices on anything. I picked up a container of popcorn seasoning and a mix that supposedly, when put together, will be the same as Coney Island sauce downtown. We will see how that compares to my sauce. The one nice part is that it makes smaller batches of sauce and at less time. Stay tuned.

http://www.americanspice.com/

If you are looking for the place, it's in the gas station that is just South of the Cap n' Cork / Oley's pizza place on Coliseum. It also has a pretty good web page which is where I am thinking a majority of there income comes from.

So far no one has commented about the seasonings near the popcorn maker so I think all that messing around was for nothing. oh well, I found a new place if I ever need Galangal Root Cut/Sifted

No comments: