Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Overkill

Why is it that sometimes I go into overkill with some of my projects?

Problem: I wanted to make a sign to put next to a pile of rocks in my front yard to advertise that I am selling them.

Simple solution: Get a piece of cardboard and a marker and make a sign.

My solution: Get a flat 18"x24" piece of wood and paint it white. (two coats of course). Since my writing is so poor, I go on the computer and type up a sign that says "flagstone for sale - 486-xxxx". The idea is that I am going to print out the sign and create a stencil to spraypaint the sign. Of course I can't print out 18"x24" on a piece of paper so I end up printing out 3 different sections and taping them together. I start cutting out the letters with a knife. Then I think... I can't spray paint this because it isn't stiff enough and it will not be clean lines. So I find a piece of thicker cardboard and transfer the stencil again and cut out the letters again. I tape the stencil on the board and proceed to spray paint it. Also upon finding a can of red spray paint I decide to make the letters black and the phone number red. Why? I don't know. So I lay out the stencil and spray paint the letters onto the board. I pull up the stencil and it looks like crap. The lines aren't as sharp as I want them. I want it to look nice if I am going to do it this way. So now I am going to take the stencil and outline the letters again and probably use a marker or a paint brush to get the clean effect that I want. So far I have been working on this little project for a couple weeks trying to find the time here and there to work on it. I figure one of two things are going to happen. Either snow will be flying by the time I get done, or I am going to find out that this sign isn't allowed by the neighborhood association and get in trouble for it. I am thinking #2.

2 comments:

CAQuincy said...

*chuckle* You should "bill" yourself for all the work and supplies and show it to the neighborhood assoc. Hey, this sign was done by a PROFESSIONAL, how on EARTH can you ban it?! Can't you see all the EFFORT that went into it?!

Too bad teleporting is still a technology of the future. John and I could SO use some of that flagstone for the spring. And even if we ever come into town, we are NOT hauling it back!

Marcus said...

I don't know ... some damn vandals came by and put this sign on the rocks. I'm in such a hurry every day, I just didn't notice it. I will "fix the problem" then, since the sign isn't stylish. Hey, it's a clever lie that might just work -- until someeone checks the phone number.