Monday, October 23, 2006

Shit

Sunday was a very windy blustery day here. So on the way back from church jenny and I were discussing the meals for the day for the kids since jenny had to work and we didn't have much in the house since we ate it all. So we decided to run to the store and pick up a few essentials, of course we decide this after I have already driven past the store, so I have to turn around. We pull into the parking lot and I ask jenny if she just wanted to run into the store by herself or if she wanted me and the boys to come with her. We decided that since the boys were both awake to make it a family trip into the store. That and the fact that when I go with her we end up buying stuff that she wouldn't have bought, cookies, easy cheese, etc. As I was opening my door a huge gust of wind grabs the door and rips it out of my hand and I hear a huge "thump". I look over and see the side view mirror of the car next to me just hanging by a wire. Son of a M*&^ F@#$$#% B@#$%@. The look of terror in my face must have been priceless. I just felt sick to my stomach. Nothing like that has ever happened to me. I might have dinged a car or two in my life, but never taken off a part of the car. I was thinking maybe I should call Keith, since he has alot of experience with hitting cars and taking off side view mirrors (just kidding buddy). So I sheepishly write a note apologizing for what happened and my name and number. We go into the store and end up buying bananas and mac and cheese. I am thinking "great, a $1.78 trip to the store is going to cost me a couple hundred". I ended up getting a call from a guy about an hour later and lucky for me he was very understanding and cool about it. I still don't really know how damaged my car is since I was more worried about his, but I think I only have a huge black mark where it hit. So basically Sunday was sitting in front of the TV saying "shit".

3 comments:

Marcus said...

You could have left a second note remarking that the video captured is part of Falacies a Jackass like movie to be in theaters around late 2007.

CAQuincy said...

Had a similar thing happen to me--when we'd only owned the van for a month. Windy, blustery day. Crowded parking lot. Next thing I know, the wind whips the door so hard out of my hand it broke my thumb nail. No damage to the poor shlep I hit (well, none visible, anyway). No, I put a gi-normous ding in OUR brand-new door, instead. Although I'd rather that than take out someone else's mirror.....

MR said...

A very common occurance, I had it happen to me in Best Buy's parking lot many years ago. There was no moment of moral equation because the guy was sitting in the car when my door hit his. It figures. I know *I* very much enjoy going to popular parking lots and just sitting around in the car watching people go in and out, it's a really cool hobby. As it was, I wouldn't have left him anything, and he wouldn't havce notice. There was a mark there, but it almost looked like you could wipe it away, no structural damage. But, my bad luck was running, this guy was getting divorced, losing his house and he must have thought this was a chance to get some money. He was saying that he'd have to get the WHOLE DOOR repainted. Unbelievable. I managed to talk him down to something reasonable when I offered to meet him at an autobody shop and get an estimate, then I'd pay for it on the spot. That slowed him down, because he knew the guy wasn't going to say "we'll have to re-paint the whole door." Anyway, I ended up getting out of it for not too much, lesson learned about wind and people.