Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Let's get rid of crap

This sunday is our association's garage sale. This is a good opportunity to get rid of stuff that just clutters the house. And is also motivates me to take a good look at the stuff I have and decide if I really need it. I find myself being alot less attached to things than when I was younger. Yes I was a pack rat as a kid and I have the neon calculator watch to prove it still. Fortunately for me the garage sale falls on Jen's to do list. She and her mom usually work on organizing and working the sale since they have alot of experience. My job is to lug boxes up stairs from the basement or down from the attic (NOW WITH STAIRS!!!!) and to clean the garage. Most years it's just tables filled with little stuff, but this year we have some bigger items including a couch with a pull out bed (Sorry Mary, you might loose your bed when you come to visit) and some end tables that have glass inserts that probably isn't a good idea with three boys around. I was close to getting rid of the sectional couch from the basement, but I figured I need some furnitire for the "sea shanty" basement when I get it remodeled. More about the "sea shanty" basement later. We also are finding this garage sale a good way of purging some of the boys toys. I don't want to deny Christopher the opportunity to play with these toys, but I am sure that there will be enough around when he gets older. We set aside 5 big boxes of toys a few months ago and the boys have no idea that anything is missing. The big fun comes when they see it on the table during the garage sale and rediscover them. I wish I had a little more time to pull up more rock from the backyard since the garage sale is where I got rid of most of it last year. Like past years the garage sale happens on the same day on when I help out the March of Dimes "March for babies" walk so I can't be there on Saturday to help. Probably a good thing since I would have an opinion about stuff and my mother in law hates that :). The big battle will come after the garage sale. I told Jen that whatever didn't sell would be going to goodwill since I am tired of lugging the same boxes full of crap up and down to the attic (even though I now have stairs). If we sell enough stuff and get it down to a couple boxes I might be willing to put them upstairs again. But like every year it amazes me on what people will buy at a garage sale. One person's crap is another person's treasure. This year I am actually going to put a few items I pulled out last year and try e-bay out. I know I have threatened that before, but this time I mean it. Just start out with one item and go from there.

No comments: