Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day weekend

It was father's day weekend. I am still getting used to the fact that I am actually a father. Yeah I know after 3 kids it should have sunk in, but after 40 years of making sure I did something for my father it's hard to get my mind around the fact that its my day too. Jen has to work all weekend so my plans are up in the air for the most part, but I have a few ideas. Saturday was a very lazy day. I didn't do much of anything except watch TV and play with the boys. I should have run them outside for awhile. After dinner I decided to make some cookies to munch on. I haven't made sugar cookies in a while so I pull out that recipe. As I am putting it together I forgot how much dough it made and how much of a mess went into making them. The boys like to watch me bake and have to be standing on the chair watching me the whole time. Usually they behave themselves, but Andrew was being a little crankier than usual. So I am finishing up and getting ready to put the cookies into the oven when Andrew throws an even bigger fit. I tell him to go into the front room and play. He leaves, but comes back a short time later crying and whining. Just as I am about to tell him to stop crying go play I notice his face. The skin all around his eyes are blistered and red. What the hell did he get into? I start to freak a little bit and give him some benydryl in case it was an allergic reaction to one of the cookie ingredients. I am trying to decide if this is a "take him to the hospital" kind of thing or a "wait and see what the medicine does" kind of thing. I decide to give the medicine a few moments and put a wash cloth on his face to help the blistering. I am thinking that he either rubbed some cinnamon or some nutmeg in his eyes that caused the reaction. I noticed that my eyes kind of burn after putting cinnamon in the mixer. I decide to get a second opinion and call Jen at work and freak her out. She is for taking him to the emergency room, but I am finally starting to calm down a little (and so is Andrew) and am going to see what the medicine and wash cloths will do. I call my mom to make sure she is available to watch the kids in case I do take him to the ER and she ends up coming over anyway. When she gets there, her opinion on ER too, but by the time she arrives his face is actually looking better. Andrew just sits in her lap and is looking better after half an hour or so. His one eye is still watering and bloodshot but it doesn't seem to bother him that much. The boys got to stay up late Saturday so they could watch Monsters Inc. on TV and it gave me a chance to keep an eye on Andrew. Everyone goes to bed pretty well and I can tell Andrew is feeling better with being a little more active during bed time. Still, it's a little freaky on why that happened.

Sunday is another 7:00am beginning to the day. Why don't our kids appreciate sleeping in on the weekends???? Andrew is looking almost normal with just some redness around his eye. We all get breakfast and then head for church. After church mom treats us to breakfast/lunch at the Cracker Barrel. They have real good food there, and the boys acted pretty good for the most part. Of course William has to go to the bathroom just as my food gets there so I get to eat a luke warm reuben, but it was still very good. The boys also did very well at Texas Roadhouse for grandpa's birthday dinner earlier in the week. Maybe there is hope for dining in restaurants after all. After lunch we take the boys back to my mom's house to drop them off for a little while. I know, nothing like celebrating father's day by getting rid of your kids. I thought about taking the boys to the Zoo or something else like that, but there has been a few projects around the house that have been bugging me, and they are easier to solve without the boys under foot. Jen leaves for work and I put on my work clothes. Things I did: mow the yard, wash the van, trim up the magnolia tree in front, trim up the lillac bush on the side and trim up the other bushes in the front yard. One of the bigger things that have bugged me is the tree roots that are above the ground in the back yard. They are definite lawn mower beaters. Taking them out involves axes and other heavy tools, that wouldn't go over too well with the boys around. After 5 hours of hard labor and a little bit of a sunburn I head back to mom's house to play with the boys and visit with her. So far Andrew hasn't had any more reactions to mom's dog, but that's because the usually lock up that dog when he is around. Maybe next time we visit we will see if he reacts to the dog again. We get home around 7:00pm just about the same time as Jen. Bath time and the boys off to bed. Jen and I just crash on the couch. Overall a good weekend. I am tired and the muscles are a little sore, but I alway feel better when I accomplish something.

No comments: