Monday, June 23, 2008

Jen's Birthday weekend

Jen's birthday was Saturday, but I tried to make the whole weekend of stuff that she wanted to do or things she enjoyed. She had to work both Saturday and Sunday, but we threw in alot of stuff around her working.

Friday night we took up Jeff's invite to go out to Jefferson Point for the free concert thing that they have. I had never really been to one of these things so wasn't sure what to expect. I figured that there would be a small crowd with shoppers stopping occasionally to hear the band, but it ended up being a HUGE crowd with probably a couple hundred people sitting all over the place. They rope off the area around the fountain and it turns out being a beer/wine garden where you can get an adult beverage. We show up around 7:00 and run into friends we know and catch up with them. What a perfect night with temps in the mid 70's and a clear sky. After talking with our friends a while we walk around trying to find Jeff and whoever else. I finally had to call his cell since I couldn't find him and they were in the food court, but unfortunately they had to leave shortly after we got together. The boys were more interested in running around then actually sitting there and visiting or listening to the band, so we spent most of that time running to both ends of Jefferson point. At one end of the run we decided to stop for dinner since Jen and I hadn't eaten. We ran into Panera's (one of Jen's favorites) for a sandwich. The sandwich that I had was pretty good, but I am still not a huge fan of this restaurant. Little pricey and the bread is always tough. (I know it's supposed to be that way, for some reason) The boys did rather well just watching us eat and playing. After that we went to get Jen a black and white truffle (again a fav) from Debrands. On the way home we stopped by Zestos and got some ice cream. Andrew is a bigger fan of the cone than the actual ice cream and doesn't get the fact that it has to be eaten right away or it melts. He will milk his lunch for half an hour if we let him. We got home around 9:30 and put the kids to bed.

Saturday morning was another 6:50am wake up from the boys. Jen went into work early so she could have the night off. The boys and I just played around the house and did stuff. Jen got home from work actually on time (big shock) and not too long after that the in-laws showed up. We arranged for the in-laws to watch the kids while we went over to Cinema Grille to see the new "Get Smart" film. I had heard mixed reviews about this movie so I was a bit hesitant. We haven't been to the Cinema Grille in years so I was a little surprised by some of the cost. It was $7 a piece just to get into the movie. I remember it being alot cheaper the last time. The dinner was a bit pricey for what it was too, but it's a splurge on our part. The movie was actually very good and I recommend it. Some of the funnier parts were in the previews like to be expected. I wish I wouldn't have watched the previews beforehand since those scenes would have put me on the floor in laughter rather than just a good laugh. There are more parts that are just as funny. Overall the Cinema Grille experience is still a good one and alot of fun to do. After the movie got out we decided to run over to Ritters for more ice cream (two nights in a row is a record). It was another fantastic night outside that was a little cool, but very comfortable with some thunderstorms in the distance making for quite the show. I have found that when Jen and I do these date nights without the kids I find it hard to actually take a moment to enjoy myself since it like I am always in a hurry to get home and take care of kids or worry about the grandparent taking care of them. I guess we will just have to do it more often. We get home to a quiet house and visit with the in-laws for a bit. You might as what did I get for Jen? I got her a salt dispenser from the Food Network that she has been wanting for a while now. Big fan of Alton Brown's salt dispenser. And I got her some new pajamas since she commented about them a couple of weeks ago. Around birthday's and holidays I usually make a trek to the Disney store to see if Jen has dropped any comments about what she wants to her co-workers. I am very lucky to know the manager and assistant manager really well so they can be my spies when I need :)

Sunday we got up (another 7:00am morning) and went to church. After I cut grass while Jen gabbed with Carrie, almost forgetting what time she had to be to work. The boys and I played all day and Jen brought home a pizza for dinner. Overall we did quite a bit this weekend, but it was alot of fun. Happy Birthday Jen!!

No comments: